Bluesman

Rifle Sling Questions

I want to make a leather rifle sling, as a surprise for a buddy. I've searched the Forum and have a pattern pretty much in my head, but have some questions. Think about these as if you were a gun owner, what do your customers prefer.

1.) If you take your sling off the weapon and open it up what does it measure tip to tip? Most of what I'm reading is 44" with the bottom strap adjustable for different rifles. Sound about right?

2.) The top wide section is about what in width and how long is it?

3.) Do you prefer a padded sling?

4.) How about backing.....suede to prevent slipping?

5.) The ends from what I see are 1" wide to accommodate the owners standard sling mounts.....right?

6.) I see some with the thumb or hand holder on the bottom of the wide portion. Is this preferred when carrying and how big is the loop? Looks to be a bout 4".

Thanks in advance. Oh I don't know what rifle he has as there are many and his wife knows as much about his weapons as I do............Nothing.

Edited by Bluesman

Blues man the answer to almost all of your questions is D all of the above:). I make a lot of slings every customer seems to have a different desire. I am making two for a cutomer right now one Is black with a Python inlay and has to have silver thread because the rifle stock is black with swirls of silver through it and the barrel is stainless. His otherone is burgandy with stingray inlay and has to have black thread. Most of my slings are 40 - 44" tip to tip. I have patterns that range from 1 3/4" to 3" at the widest part. If I make a two piece sling the wide part does not taper as much as a one piece does. although I do put in a thumb holeor thumb strap I get very few request for them even though I make sure my customer knows I offer them. I always ask my customer what width ssling swivels they have if you put a 1" width sling into a 1 1/4" swivel it will slide back and fourth a little some customers don't like that so I usually try to have a snug fit. It does not matter what rifle make it is, it matters that you have enough adjustment to fit the person and the rifle. If i were to make a stock sling I would probably make it adjustable from 36 - 44" 1" wide for for swivel attachment and 2 1/4" wide lined with suede thumb loop optional.

As you see I did not really give you a difinative answer. Most is customer preference unless you are trying to create a stock sling.

Thanks Camano, your answers were very good. What length is the wide part. I am going to make it a two piece so knowing the length gives me the strap lengths as well. Seeing as it is aa gift I'll just go all out, suede backed with padding and the thumb loop. Oh does a 4" loop sound about right?

Thanks

Bluesman, my brain was not working when I typed the earlier post the final length is 44" tipt to tip adjustable approx 40" to 34". I will digg up my pattern for a two piece and get you the measurement of the wide part as well as the bottom strap.

Thanks buddy :thumbsup:

i've been having some of the same questions too. i really like the ones with stiching but don't know if its two layers or just one. what thickness would i use for that?

I like 9-10 oz or 2 layers of 4-5oz. I am doing two cobra style slings right now both with exotic inlays both 9-10oz I will be stitching these around the cut out for the inlay and all the way around the out side edge (that stitching is mostly decorative. If I do two layers I always stitch theoutside edge. I will post pictures of the two under construction tomorrow.

118 views and nobody has any input except one person..............Really...........REALLY...........I thought this was How Do I..... :excuseme:

Edited by Bluesman

Bluesman, you might try reposting on the holster sheath sling forum. You might get more response. Make sure you reword the post so the repost police don't get you. :cowboy:

it's already moved there.........thanks for your input I really appreciate it. I'll share what I do with you through a PM..........

Thank you, looking forward to it.