lazybum

Removing Glue From Edges

Ive just started leatherwork and a problem ive encountered is excess glue peeking out of edges hindering the burnishing process.

This happens when I put too much glue when gluing 2 pieces of leather together for stitching, resulting in some glue showing between the leathers when they're put together. So when I burnish the layers do not fuse together.

Ive tried sanding the edges but that doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to remove the glue or do I just have to be more careful when using the glue next time? Or should I use a different glue? Im currently using generic contact cement available at my local hardware store.

Generally, just using my little cheapy drill press with a sanding drum gets rid of the glue. You might just be using too big a dollop near the edge, and not clamping the pieces together tight enough, such that the glue dries as a layer in between. As a sidenote, a gum eraser is a handy thing to have around. It'll remove all sorts of little things on the leather, like a spot of glue.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I think it might be that im not clamping the pieces hard enough. I usually just hold it together for a few seconds and be done with it :blush:

By the way what kind of gum eraser might you be talking about? A regular poly eraser won't do right?

just one of them white art gum erasers

I have used DAP Weldwood contact cement and did not have problems. I prefer Tanners Bond contact cement or better yet if you are allowed to buy it, Barges or Masters contact cement. Are you allowing the contact cement to set up before sticking it together? The glue should be dry enough not to migrate at all when put together. Putting it together too soon will also allow movement between the pieces and separation of the layers, plus it increases the drying time. I use the all purpose eraser for Springfield Leather (order #153-1) to remove dried glue that has appeared on the work. An art gum eraser works too, just make sure it has NO abrasives in it. After everything is stitched together and dried I trim the edges if needed and sand them lightly with one of those spongy sanding blocks, 220 grit. Finish with gum tragacanth (some folks use beeswax) and an edge slicker (wooden preferred). Fiebing's Edge Kote applied with a small piece of sponge held with a clothespin to finish it out if needed.

Ive just started leatherwork and a problem ive encountered is excess glue peeking out of edges hindering the burnishing process.

This happens when I put too much glue when gluing 2 pieces of leather together for stitching, resulting in some glue showing between the leathers when they're put together. So when I burnish the layers do not fuse together.

Ive tried sanding the edges but that doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to remove the glue or do I just have to be more careful when using the glue next time? Or should I use a different glue? Im currently using generic contact cement available at my local hardware store.

Oh you're supposed to allow the contact cement to dry up a bit first? I always thought the pieces should be stuck together asap haha

Should allowing the movement between pieces matter? I actually prefer it as it allows me to adjust the pieces to properly align before they are completely glued together.

Oh yeah. The directions very on the contact cement. All of them tell you to rough up surface (flesh side is rough enough) and apply glue to both bonding surfaces. The drying time varies between the glues, but all of them have you wait until it is tacky. Should fell like the sticky side of tape. You must be careful putting it together, thats why it is called contact cement, it bonds on contact with the other piece. If not pushed together it still can be moved, but not easy. Rubber cement is similar but can be taken apart. Once aligned I just squeeze it with my fingers and hold for a moment. It doesn't come apart.

Contact cement needs air to dry and set up, if you put it together too soon the solvents that need to evaporate can't because they are trapped between two layers of leather and it takes a long time to dry. They are completely opposite of super-glue and others similar glues that only set up with the lack of air.

Oh you're supposed to allow the contact cement to dry up a bit first? I always thought the pieces should be stuck together asap haha

Should allowing the movement between pieces matter? I actually prefer it as it allows me to adjust the pieces to properly align before they are completely glued together.

I glue up with Weldwood gel contact cement using an artist brush. It is a gel paste and has way better control when applying it. Just a little will do.

I let the glue completely dry and then join the pieces of leather together. This way there is no chance of any bleed out.

Sometimes I use wax paper between the layers and slide it out as I glue the pieces together aligning it as I go. This way you do misalign the pieces of leather.