Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

A little nostalgia

...thought some may find this interesting.

While cleaning old files, I found this scan of a photo of my studio in Australia. I had a small farm in Bringelly on which there was a 36 x 36' barn which included six 12' x12' stables. I opened two stables and built this studio...putting in a floor, ceiling and lining the wall with ship-lapped pine. I put windows behind the top section of the stable doors and one in front of my workspace. I lined the outer walls with second-hand weathered timbers, including the door...from the outside it just looked like and old barn. Many people were shocked when seeing the inside for the first time.

This barn was far from square, and, my ability to set the floor perfectly level, left a little to be desired. I started building my work tops and workbench in one corner...set a mark on the wall, and built out from with the use of a spirit level. All worked out well, and all benches were perfectly level. Some years later I opened the adjoining stable and added another space for a photo studio and darkroom.

When I relocated this space in 1997, I had problems, for the 24 x 24 building was already perfectly level and square. I again had to start in one corner with a spirit level, and adjust leg heights and bench shapes to fit.

Just a story...

Peter

studio_1978_Australia.jpg

studio_1978_Australia.jpg

post-3307-1244513124_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rawhide

a cool story and a cool place to work I love wood,

PS will you ask Peter for me when he will be updating his website thanks.

looks like leather heaven...give me a bed and a fridge and there would be no need to leave!!!......peter, where's the toaster and vegemite???

Answers in Red

a cool story and a cool place to work I love wood,

PS will you ask Peter for me when he will be updating his website thanks.

...it has been remiss of me to neglect my website for so long....there is much to add. I intend to add 'boots', 'belts' and 'miscellaneous' when time permits.

looks like leather heaven...give me a bed and a fridge and there would be no need to leave!!!......peter, where's the toaster and vegemite???

...and, the toaster is in front of my drawing board (out of sight in the photo). The bread-bin, plate, butter-dish with butter-knife and vegemite are to the right.

PGM