azrider

Questions For The Seat Makers

So I have a mustang seat pan for a softail. I have just the pan and the hardware kit. I am looking for a supplier for closed cell foam. On my last two seats, I used an exersize matt cut down and stacked, and am looking for something thicker. I am looking for an online place I might be able to get a small amount of foam, and also for a gel insert. I have searched in the threads on this page, and couldn't find the links I have read before. Google doesn't seem to be much help either. Any suggestions?

Second question, this seat is not for a custom order. I am doing a craft show in a few months, and am hoping to use it to draw some bussiness. My last two seats were both done in western saddle style, but thats not really mainstream at all. (Still have the second one.) That said, I would like to make something that won't be too hard to sell. Any suggestions for designs for mainstream sales, with out going to skulls, flames, and Maltese crosses?

I have ordered from here before and have no complaints. http://www.closedcellfoams.com/polyethylene.html Have also heard of these guys and they have that nice glued side so you peel and stick and your good to go. I cant vouch for them but have scene them recommended before. http://www.foamforyou.com/neoprene.htm <BR><BR><BR>As far as the design I cant offer much but would suggest whatever you can tool well and make look good if its gonna be for show. <BR><BR>Would like to add almost forgot but I have gotten several gel pad inserts off of ebay. Its actually usually one of the best deals I have found. Ive only gotten a couple but have not had any issues with them. I dont remember the seller though sorry.  

Edited by MADMAX22

I can't help you with the foam to much but I have done a whole lot of internet searching to find out what is usually selling and I hate to say it but it's skulls, flames and maltese crosses. I don't like them either. I do like the mexican muerte skulls much better but they don't seem to be what most want. I will be watching and seeing what everyone else says but I have a feeling it's hard to get away from skulls. I will say I've seen a bunch of CFL seats but I would assume only those with a CFL frame would buy them but I could be completly wrong.

MadMax22, those were exactly the links I couldn't find. Thanks.

I have been kicking around some ideas, and will probably just do a skull with some oak leaves. Thinking of dying the background black, but keeping some dark brown in the tooling area and the edges of the seat.

Hey Az, I know this reply is late (just saw your message) but if you still need something for the show, I have a big roll of about 5/8" Memory Foam (Blue - automotive use) in my shop. When I bought it I didn't read carefully enough and bought a huge thing of it thinking I was just buying enough for a seat or two. Drop me a PM and I'll make ya a heck of a deal on some.

~Chris