Sign in to follow this  
woodandsteel

New Iwb Holsters For 1911's And M&p40

It's been a while since I've posted anything, and my results have been steadily improving, thanks to all that I've learned here. Here are four IWB holsters I made recently. Two are for a Government length 1911. One of them has lizard skin trim. The light brown one turned out splotchy for some reason, due to the boning/molding process. I used a vacuum bag to do the initial forming, pressing with my fingers through the bag, and then with bone folder for details. I haven't had that problem before or since.

The other two holsters are an adjustable IWB design that I made for a Colt Defender and a Smith & Wesson M&P40. The snap loops are screwed into T-nuts, which can be moved to change the cant and ride height.

I used 7/8oz leather from RJF leather, Fiebings Oil dye, saddle stitched, finished with Resolene and then a coat of Sno-Seal. I mostly used Hidepounder's edge burnishing method, but I'm getting inconsistent results, with the dye rubbing off during the final burnishing. On the last holster I dyed the edges after sanding and burnishing, then used glycerin soap, saddle soap, and paraffin wax.

On the last holster, I also forgot the coat of neatsfoot oil after molding and before using the resolene, so it ended up a bit splotchy. I was in a rush...lesson learned!

1911-front.jpg

img_0878.jpg

1911-trim-close.jpgIMG_0869.jpg

img_0907.jpg

img_0912.jpgimg_0957.jpgimg_0963.jpgimg_0953.jpg

img_0984.jpgimg_0985.jpg

Edited by woodandsteel

I hope that some day, if I eat my veggies and say my prayers, I'll make holsters that look as good as those........

Thanks, Big O! :)

Excellent! They look like they'd be very comfortable too.

Very nice.