Singermania

Big Singer 5-12

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to track down some information on the Singer 5 class machines. So far can only find two drawings, one is a 5-3 the other is a 5-7, neither look exactly the same as my 5-12. I bought this machine as a 5-12 but of course it could be somethinge else. It is certainly a Singer, looks like the 5, 6, 7 and 8 class machines and uses the same shuttle as the big 7 class machines. The problem is that the Singer info I have only list up to 5-9. The Smithsonian pictures don't have any of the heavy walking foot and feed roller gear as mine does on the front.

Also the Singer catalogue says that 5 class machines have a bed of 32 1/2" whilst mine is 21 3/4". Did the later versions have a shorter bed?

There must be someone in the world that has used these machines and knows something about them they can share. Does anyone have any photos or literature. ??

I found a Singer phone number that says if you ring it they can give you the model number from the serial number, but it wont work here in Australia.... 1800 474 6437

The Serial number is 2959803 and under that is 89903. The first number was allocated in 1879.

I am trying to put together a collection of early industrial Singers from the number 1 to the 8, so far I have a 3, 5 and several 7s, let me know if anyone has the missing machines, dead or alive.post-19343-063794300 1311553834_thumb.jppost-19343-075509600 1311553853_thumb.jp

Pls get back to me with anything you may have or know.

regards Steve

Lovely machine!!

Singer lost a lot of the production information so they only have the same data as on the website in terms of serial numbers.

Lovely machine!!

Singer lost a lot of the production information so they only have the same data as on the website in terms of serial numbers.

HI Darren, thanks for your reply, the pictures are deceiving, its shorter than a 7 class but actually heavier, so rather than around 65kg its more like 75kg. I can lift and carry a 7-31, but this 5-12 is a real back breaker. I'm still hoping someone will read my post and have some info, even just a comment is very welcome. Regards Steve

singermania - i called that number out of curiousity but was on hold FOREVER. they have an email address also. it's talktous@singerco.com.

i hope that this might help out.

Edited by ramrod

singermania - i called that number out of curiousity but was on hold FOREVER. they have an email address also. it's talktous@singerco.com.

i hope that this might help out.

HI, thanks for your help, I'll give the email address a run.

Regards Steve