gearhead

Stohlman- Leather Cases Book

I purchased "The Art of Making Leather Cases" Vol 2 at and I am just dumbfounded that even though it is an instruction book it will tell you to refer to another Volume to complete a part of the project. Is it just me or should the instructions be complete???

The Tandy folks read the book, "The Art of Extracting Money from Customers". innocent.gif

No, you bought a Vol. 2 and nearly everything in craft work builds on simpler ideas. Volume 1 is pretty basic and does cover things pretty thoroughly. But even Vol. 1 will refer back to earlier projects in the book for details on how to do a piece of a project.

BTW, the guys who recommended The Art of Handsewing Leather and The Art of Making Leather Cases to me were legendary leatherworkers with many years of experience. They are pretty good books to learn from.

Yep, if you started with #1, you wouldn't have had that problem. I did the same thing and bought #2 first, and one look through it convinced me to buy #1 and #3 in the next order. Incomplete as it may be, the amount of info in those books is staggering. I guess it's just easier to sell 3 $15 books instead of one big $45 book.

Edited by BAD HIDE

I think in vol. #1 the authors explain that in order to not be repeating the same topics over and over they would instead refer you to the one area that explains staps, handles, belt loops, and so on. It is in my view a very good set of books because they does not cover the same material over and over...... Jeff

The Tandy folks read the book, "The Art of Extracting Money from Customers"
LOL

I know that each Vol on its own is a wealth of info, and the instance that I was specificly refering to was a pouch flap. I really does look easy enough to figure out with out the extra volume. I was just irritated that it couldn't give a quick instruction instead of saying refer to Voll1. I do understand that each one builds on the one before and can appreciate that. I just wish that they had made one large book, or at least had all of them in a bundle (with a bit of a discount for the bundle).

These books are a set that does come on special regularly. And when on special, they sometimes have a bundle price if you do buy all three. I already have the first two and I agree that they do have a lot of information on how to do stuff that isn't related to cases. These books are some of the best leatherworking books around.

The one that I find is a must for every starting leatherworker is The Leathercrafts Tools book. You just can't do without this one. Both as a book on techniques, what tools to buy and how to use them. The other one that I really like is the Art of Hand Sewing.

Just my 2 cents.

I already have volume 2 , need to buy volume 1and 3,

But there are so many books on my list and a lot of tools.

Learned a lot from How to carve leather, and Projects and Designs from the same author.

The one that I find is a must for every starting leatherworker is The Leathercrafts Tools book. You just can't do without this one. Both as a book on techniques, what tools to buy and how to use them. Just my 2 cents.

:yes:

It just hit me that those Al Stohlman "How to make Cases" books have to be 50-60 years old. If someone wants to write and illustrate a modren one book that covers the basics, I'll be glad to publish it.

An old leatherworker I knew said, "Al wasn't the greatest carver or maker, but he's the "father of leathercraft" because he took the time to write the books!"

Johanna

HE, like no other of his time ,made it possible for us to learn this great craft ...thank you AL..

The first copywright in my book is 1983. It would be nice to have a little more modern designs, however I am grateful that Stohlmans books are out there!

All 3 books probably didn't come out at the same time. The saddle books came out at least a year apart , I think. One person can only do so much. I've heard some people complain about the same things being covered over and over in some of the books. You can't make everybody happy.

Kevin

It just hit me that those Al Stohlman "How to make Cases" books have to be 50-60 years old. If someone wants to write and illustrate a modren one book that covers the basics, I'll be glad to publish it.

An old leatherworker I knew said, "Al wasn't the greatest carver or maker, but he's the "father of leathercraft" because he took the time to write the books!"

Johanna

That is a million dollar idea right there. Just wish I had the skills and the time.

A lot of cases are over date , but the principle how to make a case , is the same.

So with a little bit from All Stohlman and a lot of yourself , you can make the case you want.

I use the books , to learn the principles , to learn how to work with the leather and the tools.

Why shoot I try to find it out by my self , if somebody else took the the time to write it down and I can use it .

Even if I should find a book out of the middleages and I can use it , I'm happy with the experience of someone else and use it.

Johanna

I've been working on my book for about 4 weeks now, Johanna. I've been suffering from a little writers block however because I can't make up my mind on the opening..... "In the beginning...." or "There we were!". :>)

I've been working on my book for about 4 weeks now, Johanna. I've been suffering from a little writers block however because I can't make up my mind on the opening..... "In the beginning...." or "There we were!". :>)

Bobby,

If you write a book I will be first in line to buy one so get over the "Writer's Block". LOL

ferg

:rofl: I can't wait to read your book, Bobby. You can tell how electric lighting changed your work hours, and how business changed when they installed the telephone!

Seriously, I want to clarify that there is nothing wrong with the case making books by Al Stohlman. The explanations of the various techniques makes it possible for you to do your own fabrication. I have seen the original pages of those books at the museums-Al LABORED over each page. He did not have a computer for cut and paste. He had to draw illustrations and squeeze his text in. He carved many a leather piece for pictures and illustrations. Clearly, his whole series of books was a labor of love, and I'm sure Tandy feels they made a good investment. Al got to live in peace in BC and Tandy has been teaching with those books forever.

Fabrication is what is becoming a lost art of leatherwork. This is a subject I get on my soapbox about. if the purse doesn't close or the gun doesn't fit, i don't care how pretty it is, it's junk. I've seen outstanding leather art hanging on the walls at shows. I have more admiration for the items that serve a purpose and do work, and Al's books will teach you the principles of making boxes, cases, and so forth with leather. So for the time being, buy all three books, if you can. And get Al's Tool book, too. Out of all of the leather books for sale right now, those 4 will get you going if you want to MAKE things, not necessarily decorate them.

Johanna

:coffeecomp:

Bob you forgot " Once up on a time " for the opening :winkiss:. All kidding aside i would buy your book. I love learning new things.

If we all make pics from our projects , write down how we did it , put it together , I'm sure it will be a great book .

:whatdoyouthink: