Sign in to follow this  
Darkbeer

Hobby Horse "stitching Horse"

I wanted to learn to hand sew instead of using a sewing awl and found I needed something to hold the leather with. At first I thought I could buy myself a stitching horse but found a limited selection and high cost and so I decided to make one.

It is made of Oak, the seat being two pieces of 1" board glued together because I could not find a 2" board.

This was made during three consecutive since I drive truck and am home only on weekends.

This is also a first attempt at making anything with wood.

Please tell me what I could have done to make it better if anything.

Thanks.

post-16640-077144600 1288475295_thumb.jp

post-16640-021078100 1288475333_thumb.jp

post-16640-090385600 1288475343_thumb.jp

post-16640-000467700 1288475357_thumb.jp

Awesome! Enjoy

A very nice looking piece of wood work.......BUT, be careful on moving while you are sitting down,

if i were doing it i would have had a wider footprint on the legs.I M H O

I wanted to learn to hand sew instead of using a sewing awl and found I needed something to hold the leather with. At first I thought I could buy myself a stitching horse but found a limited selection and high cost and so I decided to make one.

It is made of Oak, the seat being two pieces of 1" board glued together because I could not find a 2" board.

This was made during three consecutive since I drive truck and am home only on weekends.

This is also a first attempt at making anything with wood.

Please tell me what I could have done to make it better if anything.

Thanks.

post-16640-077144600 1288475295_thumb.jp

post-16640-021078100 1288475333_thumb.jp

post-16640-090385600 1288475343_thumb.jp

post-16640-000467700 1288475357_thumb.jp

The bolt to adjust to the leather is going to get a little tiring. You need to search on the forum site for stitching horse/pony to see the mechanism most use to tighten the jaws onto the leather.

You done a nice job on the woodwork.

ferg

Thanks guys, the wing nut may get tiring but it does work. I may change things later but for now it clamps down tight which is what I want. The legs should be a bit wider and maybe slanted but I could not figure out how to go about that so I went with what I could.

It does feel steady when sitting on it and working, I did my first hand stitching on it and everything went very well.

I may try something different later but for now I really want to get back to leather.

Tim

Top job there Tim !! I am sure it will be fine because when you have your feet planted firmly on the ground it cant fall over unless its way pass midnight and you have been on the piss !!!! I use mine all the time for braiding , i have my stock saddle on it just to make it a bit more comfortable on the butt ,,, I seem to spend more time in the saddle now than i ever have !!!!!

Cheers from down under

Bevan

www.bwrwhips.com

Darkbeer,

There are directions for making a stitching horse in the back of Al Stohlman's "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather." Tandy carries the book, as do others.

Looks good.

Sometimes I want mine to hold the leather tighter, so I can see some real advantage to having the jaws tightened by bolt would be a great alternative.

Sparks

Thanks guys, the wing nut may get tiring but it does work. I may change things later but for now it clamps down tight which is what I want. The legs should be a bit wider and maybe slanted but I could not figure out how to go about that so I went with what I could.

It does feel steady when sitting on it and working, I did my first hand stitching on it and everything went very well.

I may try something different later but for now I really want to get back to leather.

Tim

Very nice built. I Have made one for My self to. I found the pattern in the book Hand stitching that

U can buy at tandy. There u have a great locking system for the jaws, works good for me. Will take

a pic of it.

//BhB

Hey Darkbeer!

That is indeed an outstanding first effort in wood, and it should serve you well over the years. I had the same thought about the bolt as 50 Years Leather did, but perhaps for a different reason. As you sew, the loop of thread on the right side is going to catch on that bolt about 9 out of 10 times. Having a thighteing device on the inside between the jaws will make your sewing a lot faster and more pleasing.

Mike