Sign in to follow this  
hectron

How Would I Go About Making This Design?

hi all, im new here. i wanted to know how would i go about making this design. i have attached a picture to this post. its 2 circles joined by 2 lines...i was hoping to make them about 1/16" thick. so, maybe using my dremel 4000 with a thin engraving bit would work? or, gettin a cup, crackin off a chunk (where the lines would meet up at) and pressing i against my 6OZ. veggie tanned leather? any ideas? thanks in advanced :D

post-29185-076197900 1329863031_thumb.jp

.........no idea what so ever......

I don't think we understand what you are trying to do here. Are you wanting to carve the design into the leather?

Watch this video, it should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynofyY2fL4

This one too...

well would carving make the whole design around 1/16" thick? thats my problem, how would i do that? would i carve the design, then carve a slight bigger design around it and stamp it in?

I don't think we understand what you are trying to do here. Are you wanting to carve the design into the leather?

Watch this video, it should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynofyY2fL4

This one too...

hi all, im new here. i wanted to know how would i go about making this design. i have attached a picture to this post. its 2 circles joined by 2 lines...i was hoping to make them about 1/16" thick. so, maybe using my dremel 4000 with a thin engraving bit would work? or, gettin a cup, crackin off a chunk (where the lines would meet up at) and pressing i against my 6OZ. veggie tanned leather? any ideas? thanks in advanced :D

post-29185-076197900 1329863031_thumb.jp

Barring buying a clicker and having a die made... you could cut your design out of acrylic or Aluminum flashing. Then trace and cut out

hmmm, good idea ! bu...whats a clicker?

Barring buying a clicker and having a die made... you could cut your design out of acrylic or Aluminum flashing. Then trace and cut out

hectron, think of a clicker die as a cookie cutter for leather, especially a thick leather, or where you want a lot of exact replicas (boot soles, key fobs, holster and handbag parts, etc.). A clicker press is what presses the die through the leather.

Draw a straight line. Take a compass and draw your circles with the point on the line. Measure off of the line the distance you want the center piece to be to get the width. Like if you want the center bar a inch wide measure 1/2 on either side of the center line. Cut the pattern out poster board.

You don't say how big the circles are, . . . and that can be the deal breaker, . . . or deal maker.

Personally, . . . I hate making repetitious cuts, . . . etc, . . . so I make tools for such things.

In this case, . . . say for example I wanted the circles to be about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, . . . and the bar about 2 inches long and about a half inch wide.

I'd first find a piece of 1 1/2 inch electrical mettalic tubing (better known as thinwall conduit), . . . cut it off about 9 inches long, . . . lay it up real easy against my sander, . . . sharpen the outside edge of one end of the conduit.

I'd then take a grinder and grind off a section a half inch wide and about 3/4 inch deep.

I'd then make me a piece of pine wood, . . . 1/2 inch wide, . . . and about 5 inches long.

Position the pipe at one end of the board, . . . punch it through the leather with a mallet, . . . move it to the other end of the board, . . . punch it through.

Use the board to mark where the sides should be cut with a razor knife, . . . cut em.

Done !

Using EMT conduit, . . . your edges will not be perfect, . . . but they will be uniformly imperfect, . . . each one will be the same. The drawing may help illustrate the idea.

I use these types of punches for all my repetitive punching work, . . . have quite a number of them built over the years.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-094238000 1329967254_thumb.jpg

If you are making the walls of the circle and lines 1/16 inch wide use Pvc or the

conduit that has walls about that thick as a tool. The connecting lines cut however

width you want out of the tubing. Connecting lines a flat-headed screwdriver or

chisel ground down to 1/16 width. depending the distance between the circles

the chisel would make a longer impression.

Joe