Sign in to follow this  
triage1998

My First Mag Pouches

These are a couple mag pouches I have made that I need some professional eyes to critique my work. Let me know what you all think.

I used Hermann Oak 7/8 oz shoulder leather I got from Springfield last week. Hand stitched with 277 nylon thread. The G30 and G19 pouch I dip dyed with black Fiebings professional oil dyes. I really like that black. I applied neatsfoot oil and allowed it to dry for 24 hours. I finished it with Angulus 600 acrylic finish. I did the Hidepounder method of burnishing but I am not sure if I burnished long enough. I used "pull the dot" snaps instead of a tunnel loop. I prefer being able to remove the pouch without taking off my belt. I also picked up a manual vacuum sealer from ROAROCKIT.com on the suggestion from Shaunny Rotten. http://www.roarockit....php?prod=01301 It works really nice. I just used my fingers to bone through the 20 mil thick bag.

Not 100% percent happy with the G30 mag pouch. I don't know if I need to make it a little taller or not. Not happy with the stitch line either. I am having a problem getting it closer to the magazine without bunching up the leather around the stitches. I don't know if it is because it's such a stout magazine or my design is just wrong and needs work. The G19 pouch turned out pretty good but needs some work I think. I have a bunch of 1911 pouches I made and just need to let the neatsfoot oil dry, do the last step of the burnishing process and put the acrylic finish on it. I will post some pictures when those are done.

G30 mag pouches

P1590095.jpg

P1590112-1.jpg

P1590106-1.jpg

P1590099-1.jpg

G19 mag pouches

g19magpouch.jpg

g19magpouch02-1.jpg

g19magpouch03-1.jpg

g19magpouch04-1.jpg

All criticism and comments welcome.

Edited by triage1998

Not bad at all. Took me 4 tries to get my first one in that style that I liked. One thing to keep in mind is that the leather stretches less at the tapered part of the mag so I always bring my stitch line in when I hit that spot. For me it was build, adjust pattern, build, adjust pattern.. you get the idea

The G30 mag is wider that the 19 mag so the stitch line will be more noticeable on that one.

IMG_4366Custom.jpg

Sweet !

Very nice work, and a great compact pouch design.

Achieving a balance between retention of the magazine and holding power of the snap on the belt loop can be challenging. If the pouch is very tightly fitted to the magazine the snap can be pulled open when trying to withdraw the magazine. If the pouch-to-magazine fit is loosened to permit easier withdrawal of the magazine (without pulling the pouch off the belt with it) retaining the magazine in that nice compact pouch could be 'iffy'.

Designs like this could probably benefit from the 'one way' snaps.

First things first: Your stitching and fitting look good, and it sounds like you've got a good procedure down. Nice workmanship, and I like the like the idea of using the snaps to mount it.

Two things I would work on: First I would make them a little deeper, to grab more of the mag (look at the length of the ones shown in Shooter's photo).

Second, you've got an issue in the lower left corner where the leather bulges and you lost the stitch line. That "toe" forms whenever you have a stitched corner in a fold-over design. The solution is to cut the round further up the left side and then stitch all the way up the cut.

tk

Not bad at all. Took me 4 tries to get my first one in that style that I liked. One thing to keep in mind is that the leather stretches less at the tapered part of the mag so I always bring my stitch line in when I hit that spot. For me it was build, adjust pattern, build, adjust pattern.. you get the idea

The G30 mag is wider that the 19 mag so the stitch line will be more noticeable on that one.

It actually took me 6 times to get it where I think it is decent enough to show in public. LOL

I am adjusting the patterns now. Just need to play with it a bit.

Very nice work, and a great compact pouch design.

Achieving a balance between retention of the magazine and holding power of the snap on the belt loop can be challenging. If the pouch is very tightly fitted to the magazine the snap can be pulled open when trying to withdraw the magazine. If the pouch-to-magazine fit is loosened to permit easier withdrawal of the magazine (without pulling the pouch off the belt with it) retaining the magazine in that nice compact pouch could be 'iffy'.

Designs like this could probably benefit from the 'one way' snaps.

I agree Lobo. Thanks for the compliment.

First things first: Your stitching and fitting look good, and it sounds like you've got a good procedure down. Nice workmanship, and I like the like the idea of using the snaps to mount it.

Two things I would work on: First I would make them a little deeper, to grab more of the mag (look at the length of the ones shown in Shooter's photo).

Second, you've got an issue in the lower left corner where the leather bulges and you lost the stitch line. That "toe" forms whenever you have a stitched corner in a fold-over design. The solution is to cut the round further up the left side and then stitch all the way up the cut.

tk

I think the stitching looks decent. Still needs some work. I will make the mag pouch a little deeper and see how that works. I will give the stitch up the cut a shot and see how that looks. Thanks!

Ah yes, Making Glock mag carriers. Another reason Glocks SUCK :P

Same here, it took several tries to get the stitch lines done. Use your scrap leather until you get it right. Cutting it wider at the top and stitching it wider there will help keep the stitch lines parallel with the mag carrier. Not telling you anything new.

I might have to give that vac setup a try.