Hi I was wondering is someone on this site would be able to help identify this saddle. It's in great shape! We purchased it a few years back at an antique auction and have had it on display since. There are no stamps on it, and has no chrome. Some scrolling on the seat. We have no knowledge about saddles, and it would be nice to know what we have.

Thanks to anyone who may have an idea!

Saddle_1.jpg

Saddle_2.jpg

post-10276-1240158701_thumb.jpg

post-10276-1240158722_thumb.jpg

First off, Welcome to the board, OPM. I'm sure you'll find plenty of interesting threads, and make contributions as well.

I know very little about saddles, but that one looks like a bronc rider saddle to me. If I'm right, and there will be plenty of people here who will correct me, the investigation should start there. Looking to see who the bronc saddlers were, or regular saddlers who have made them, might lead you in the right direction.

A one of a kind might not have any maker marks on it, but I'll bet that's rare. There are usually some mark somewhere that will give a hint, even just a number might help. Make sure you lift up every little piece of leather that will move to carefully inspect for such a mark. If you can remove parts, that might help in the looking. Good Luck, and I hope others will join in. I love detective work...lol

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

First off, Welcome to the board, OPM. I'm sure you'll find plenty of interesting threads, and make contributions as well.

I know very little about saddles, but that one looks like a bronc rider saddle to me. If I'm right, and there will be plenty of people here who will correct me, the investigation should start there. Looking to see who the bronc saddlers were, or regular saddlers who have made them, might lead you in the right direction.

A one of a kind might not have any maker marks on it, but I'll bet that's rare. There are usually some mark somewhere that will give a hint, even just a number might help. Make sure you lift up every little piece of leather that will move to carefully inspect for such a mark. If you can remove parts, that might help in the looking. Good Luck, and I hope others will join in. I love detective work...lol

Thanks rdb! I really have no idea about this saddle. We have searched every nick and cranny ashort of pulling it apart to find some sort of identification (scared to do that). I may not be able to put it back together again! Hubby comes home from the auctions with some of the most unusual items at times!

Sorry rdb but it's not a bronc saddle. bronc saddles are traditionally rigged in 3/4 position and have rear rigging that allows the rear cinch to angle back towards the flank of the horse. Another feature on a bronc saddle is a wide fork, this saddle has a very narrow fork. It almost looks like some form of endurance saddle to me.

Is this the same saddle in the Morgan saddle thread?

Barra

see, I told you I know very little about saddles...lol. Thanx Elton!

Hi I was wondering is someone on this site would be able to help identify this saddle. It's in great shape! We purchased it a few years back at an antique auction and have had it on display since. There are no stamps on it, and has no chrome. Some scrolling on the seat. We have no knowledge about saddles, and it would be nice to know what we have.

Thanks to anyone who may have an idea!

Hi, Welcome to the forum. I believe what you have there is a plantation style saddle.

Here is another example of a similar style:

DSC00218.JPG

I also think this is a plantation saddle of some form but, I think whoever made it wanted a more western cantle. It looks to me to have a 12 or 13 " cantle where most plantation saddles have a cantle that is around 20" side to side. Curbstrap has a picture of one type of plantation saddle but if you "google it" you'll find several types of them.

Isn't this the same saddle that Pella posted about?

Can you get more photos of your saddle? ( Like a photo from front and back and one of the bottom of the saddle)

Have you ridden it yet?

David

I also think this is a plantation saddle of some form but, I think whoever made it wanted a more western cantle. It looks to me to have a 12 or 13 " cantle where most plantation saddles have a cantle that is around 20" side to side. Curbstrap has a picture of one type of plantation saddle but if you "google it" you'll find several types of them.

Isn't this the same saddle that Pella posted about?

Can you get more photos of your saddle? ( Like a photo from front and back and one of the bottom of the saddle)

Have you ridden it yet?

David

I think David could be on to something. Additionally, due to the the saddle strings, I think it had more of a utilitarian use, than simply a pleasure saddle.

Added as an after thought. I recently returned from Central America and it has a very strong resemblance to some of the local saddles I saw and rode there. Many are built on a modified McClellan tree.

I think David could be on to something. Additionally, due to the the saddle strings, I think it had more of a utilitarian use, than simply a pleasure saddle.

Added as an after thought. I recently returned from Central America and it has a very strong resemblance to some of the local saddles I saw and rode there. Many are built on a modified McClellan tree.

Update:

The more I look at your saddle, the more I am convinced that it is Central or South American in influence/origin.

Here are some saddles from Honduras. You can see the similarities.

saddles.jpg

HEIN??? It is the same picture as the saddle i saw for sale on kijiji in ontario!!! Whos right? ...

so yes Barra (same as morgan saddle thread)

Pella, I don't think the saddle that this post is about is the same as the one you found on ebay. They are rigged differently, the pommel is different, cantle and skirts are different and the seat and method of attaching the stirrups are different. The one on ebay is a South American saddle for sure ( I had one just like it but mine had a horn)

Curbstrap- Plantation saddles were not originally designed as pleasure saddles. They were designed as a more suitable saddle, than the English saddle, for all day riding in the American landscape. They all had attachment points for breast collars, cruppers and bed rolls because they were working saddles ( they just weren't for roping cattle) One interesting note however is that they never had attachments for saddle bags, instead a whole new style of saddle bag was used with them. The saddle bags for a plantation saddle have hole in the strap that connects the two pockets, the cantle of the saddle went through that hole and the rider actually sat on part of the strap. The riders weight held the bags in place and they were very easy to remove when the rider dismounted. This new style bag also suited the way they were used in America better than the English saddle pockets that buckled to the saddle.

David

They really have horse that narrow is south america?!

thanks for the info.

if oneproudmom is the owner of the saddle, can you post a pic of the front side of the saddle?

I have a neighbor up here in Canada that has a saddle almost identical to this one that he picked up in Argentina for riding his Paso Fino horses. He claims its rigged the way it is to take pressure off the rotating shoulders of the gaited horses.

Pella, I'd say CurbStrap 2 is right--it's a South American saddle,

probably from Colombia from the details and looks of it.. They ride

modified McClellans down there. And that's the riggin they use too.

JD