My old leather I was working with took dyes very well. Soaked it up. This new piece I'm working from doesn't really like to take color or absorb the dye. I'm using EcoFlo waterbased dye (not my preference, only thing I can ship overseas). The dye is even more splotchy and doesn't want to get in there. Can I prep the leather in some way so that its more absorbant? Even my black Kiwi leather dye that is always champ was having trouble. I applied 3 times because the color would come out that dark indigo blue.

What's going on and how do I work around it?

Well, just did another holster and the results were much nicer than the last couple pieces I worked on. Not sure why but hopefully the results keep up.

Were both projects done from the same hide? Is it possible something oily might have gotten on the first one?

Kate

Were both projects done from the same hide? Is it possible something oily might have gotten on the first one?

Kate

Yes, both project are from the same hide. In fact, the pieces were cut right next to each other. It's possible the holster could have picked up oils from my hands and such from working on it through the process, though that's my normal handling and routine. Could it be the piece were neard the edge of the hide?

I'll have another piece ready to due in the next day or so and I'll see how that one takes.

Edited by Shorts

BOOMStick may have broken the mystery. He mentioned to try rubbing alcohol prior to dying to open the pores. As it turns out, one the splotchy holster I wet molded with a warm water/dishsoap mixture. But on the good dye job, I wet molded using warm water/rubbing alcohol. That might be the difference there.

Did you get that hide from Tandy?... I have never had an issue before with any Tandy hides sucking in the Fiebing's dye but the last ones I picked up about a month or so ago are doing just as you described... They were cheap on sale ones. In some areas the dye barely coats the surface other areas it works well.

Edited by Jeff L