Sign in to follow this  
misfitchris

New Guy Need Some Directions

I've searched a bit but didn't come up with an answer. I'm wanting to make things like wallets, bags, and masks. I figured I'd start with wallets since my space is small now. My question is what are the bare minimum tools I'd need for a biker style wallet? I saw the assemblers kit from Springfield and thought about it but if I could get out slightly cheaper by piecing just the essentials for my project I'm game. We have a Tandy in town so I can get stuff there easy. Also are there any books on wallets?

Thank you

Chris.

Misfitchris,

If I were you I'd start with a kit. You will learn all the steps and mechanics of making a wallet. Sometimes learning on your own doesn't pay off. You may spend more money in the long run too. Just my suggestion. Welcome to the forum!

I've searched a bit but didn't come up with an answer. I'm wanting to make things like wallets, bags, and masks. I figured I'd start with wallets since my space is small now. My question is what are the bare minimum tools I'd need for a biker style wallet? I saw the assemblers kit from Springfield and thought about it but if I could get out slightly cheaper by piecing just the essentials for my project I'm game. We have a Tandy in town so I can get stuff there easy. Also are there any books on wallets?

Thank you

Chris.

two needles, waxed thread and a sharp knife....ohhh and some leather....then add some cool ideas, a pinch of creativity and a half a cup of willing to do good!!

Done!!

You be surprised how much you can do with so little.....

now go and make a wallet!!!

Greetings

Aloha

A really sharp awl, a little beeswax, some fabric first-aid-tape, a pair of shears, and a bone folder wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Gotta make the holes for the needles, the extra wax will keep the thread and needles from breaking and can be held behind the leather as a support when you push the needle through, the tape is to wrap around your little fingers so you don't get cuts from the thread when you pull it tight, the shears are good for cutting linings or thin leather for the "wallet guts", and the bone (actually, most are plastic anymore) folder can be used to smooth down liners, crease folds, and to smooth bubbles out of where stuff is glued, and can be used as a burnisher if you get the one that looks like half a wheel stuck to a flat stick.