dmr400

Methods For Gluing Batches Of Double Layered Belts

Wondering how the established makers are gluing their belts up. I plan to make belts in batches, and am kicking around the idea of a sort of "Press" to do this. The bottom plate would have spacers just slightly shorter than the height of the 2 stacked blanks screwed into it with gaps the width of the belt blanks between them (1 1/2" in my case) so the belt and liner halves could be cut to size, glued up, and layed in the gap so the edges would be aligned by the spacers. Then the top plate (with a thin sheet of rubber or smooth leather on the bottom, in contact with the belts) would be placed on top, and screwed down to apply enough pressure to ensure a good glue up. I'd make it wide enough to take 5 belts or so at a time. If this isn't making sense, let me know and I'll do a quick drawing.

What are your methods? Any tips or tricks? Or are you cutting liners slightly oversize and trimming? Just curious how others are doing this before I put a lot of time into this. Thanks!

Wondering how the established makers are gluing their belts up. I plan to make belts in batches, and am kicking around the idea of a sort of "Press" to do this. The bottom plate would have spacers just slightly shorter than the height of the 2 stacked blanks screwed into it with gaps the width of the belt blanks between them (1 1/2" in my case) so the belt and liner halves could be cut to size, glued up, and layed in the gap so the edges would be aligned by the spacers. Then the top plate (with a thin sheet of rubber or smooth leather on the bottom, in contact with the belts) would be placed on top, and screwed down to apply enough pressure to ensure a good glue up. I'd make it wide enough to take 5 belts or so at a time. If this isn't making sense, let me know and I'll do a quick drawing.

What are your methods? Any tips or tricks? Or are you cutting liners slightly oversize and trimming? Just curious how others are doing this before I put a lot of time into this. Thanks!

I use my wife's kitchen island (only place long enough to lay down a 52 inch belt all at once).

The "face" side of the belt lays on the counter, face down, buckle end to my left.

Cover the right 2/3 or so with newspaper.

Lay the liner down and start, being very careful to get it started exactly where you want it.

I then use my left hand to slide down the edges, feeling my way with my thumb and fingers, to make sure they are "aligned" correctly. My right hand removes the newspapers as I go, . . . and when I get done, . . . I trim the flap end and I have a double layer belt that is pretty much ready to bevel, edge, stain and finish. Sometimes there is a little bit of sanding, . . . but mostly not.

A marble rolling pin from one end to the other is more than enough "press" to put the belt together if you use good cement.

The key to this is to set your strap cutter, . . . cut both blanks at the same time, . . . both the face and the liner. Absolutely no one is capable of going back and re-setting a strap cutter to the exact place it was some time before. He may do it occasionally, . . . but on a regular basis, . . . the second cutting will be a few thousands over or under, . . . making you have to sand or trim the whole belt, . . . UGH!

If you want to do "batches" of belts, . . . cut your blanks wide enough to make 6 or eight belts. Glue up that oversized hunk of cow hide, . . . when the glue dries, . . . take your strap cutter and cut the blanks out of the big piece, . . . the edges then should be no less perfect than the job you did cutting them.

May God bless,

Dwight

Why does the simple solution never occur to me first?! Thanks Dwight.

Why does the simple solution never occur to me first?! Thanks Dwight.

Now, don't take offense, . . . and don't laugh.

The answer to your question is very simple, . . . you ain't lazy enough !rolleyes.gif

I don't remember who it was, . . . but some years ago I heard a comment that went something to the effect that it was lazy people who saw improvements because they were not going to bust their backs doing things the hard way, . . . just 'cause that was the way it was done.

I'm not perfect at it, . . . but I always ask myself if there is an easier way.

Oh, . . . and "Get a wife", . . . no that is not the answer whistle.gif to that question above.

May God bless,

Dwight