Sign in to follow this  
fleabitpokey

how to take the measurements for chaps

I have basic chap patterns for small ,medium ,and large. Not many people actually are small ,medium, or large. What I need to know is, how to take the measurements I have and make a custom fit pattern.Where do I start? I assume it is at the waist,but how is it centered on the leg,so it won't twist? Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks Stephanie

I have basic chap patterns for small ,medium ,and large. Not many people actually are small ,medium, or large. What I need to know is, how to take the measurements I have and make a custom fit pattern.Where do I start? I assume it is at the waist,but how is it centered on the leg,so it won't twist? Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks Stephanie

Go to any chap makers web and they should have a page showing where to take measurements. Hope this helps

rharris

try www.cowboysaddler.com/chinks.php. I know there are alot more but could not find them on my bookmarks. if I find more I will post them. Hope this helps.

rharris

Go to any chap makers web and they should have a page showing where to take measurements. Hope this helps

rharris

rharris,thanks so much for the link to Cowboy Saddlery. The measurement photo really is a help,thank you.

Looking at the different saddle makers,oh man, there just aren't words for how awesome they are. I really love Steve Mecum's style of carving. Chester Hapes,has some of the most beautiful designs I have ever seen. Gives me a couple more stars to shoot for.

Thanks Stephanie

rharris,thanks so much for the link to Cowboy Saddlery. The measurement photo really is a help,thank you.

Looking at the different saddle makers,oh man, there just aren't words for how awesome they are. I really love Steve Mecum's style of carving. Chester Hapes,has some of the most beautiful designs I have ever seen. Gives me a couple more stars to shoot for.

Thanks Stephanie

Stephanie

I found a chap making vidio at http://www.pvsaddleshop.com/index.html. I have not viewed it but it might help.

rharris

Stephanie

I found a chap making vidio at http://www.pvsaddleshop.com/index.html. I have not viewed it but it might help.

rharris

rharris,again the lead is much appreciated. Not only the chap video,but a couple others will be added to my ..learning tools.

Thanks Stephanie

Stphanie,

Another source for this video is www.gibsonprorodeo.com. The business is run by Bruce Gibson, a frequent and good contributor to this forum. It is a pretty good video, showing my age sorry, it is on DVD now. Comes with a set of patterns. I think Bruce has all the Pleasant Valley videos, and can fit you for a pretty good bullrope if you decide to make rodeo chaps and take a walk on the wild side.

From the other Bruce,

Bruce Johnson

Stphanie,

Another source for this video is www.gibsonprorodeo.com. The business is run by Bruce Gibson, a frequent and good contributor to this forum. It is a pretty good video, showing my age sorry, it is on DVD now. Comes with a set of patterns. I think Bruce has all the Pleasant Valley videos, and can fit you for a pretty good bullrope if you decide to make rodeo chaps and take a walk on the wild side.

From the other Bruce,

Bruce Johnson

Bruce,thanks for the link,I have it bookmarked. And if only I wasn't to old to walk the walk.

:biggrin: Thanks Stephanie

Hello Stephanie

First off, I really like your Handle.

If I understand correctly, You are looking for the information as to how to measure and then lay out a custom pattern starting from scratch.

The PV tape or CD on making chaps covers the construction but not the actual pattern making.

It is not too complicated once you get the basics. I don't have a scanner but if you want to contact me off list I will be happy to discuss getting a diagram to you and discussing the variables involved.

It sure would make a nice online clinic for someone to do.

Kind Regards

Blake

cowography101@earthlink.net

Hello Stephanie

First off, I really like your Handle.

If I understand correctly, You are looking for the information as to how to measure and then lay out a custom pattern starting from scratch.

The PV tape or CD on making chaps covers the construction but not the actual pattern making.

It is not too complicated once you get the basics. I don't have a scanner but if you want to contact me off list I will be happy to discuss getting a diagram to you and discussing the variables involved.

It sure would make a nice online clinic for someone to do.

Kind Regards

Blake

cowography101@earthlink.net

Thank you Blake, and you are right,it would make a great clinic. Thanks Stephanie

I have had several pairs of chaps and a couple sets of chinks custom made and if I remeber I was always measured around the waist, upper thigh, lower thigh and hip to boot or ground depending on the style like if it was Rough stock chaps, riding chaps ect Anyway somewhere in there like that.

I have had several pairs of chaps and a couple sets of chinks custom made and if I remeber I was always measured around the waist, upper thigh, lower thigh and hip to boot or ground depending on the style like if it was Rough stock chaps, riding chaps ect Anyway somewhere in there like that.

Stephanie was trying to find out how to convert those measurments to an actual pattern and then lay it out. I forwarded a diagram to her which is very basic and I will cover the variables with her via E-mail.

If anyone else is interested, I will be happy to include you in the instruction and send you a diagram too.

I have a painfully slow dial up so I'm not too sure I could do an online clinic. Maybe Johanne could answer that.

Blake

Stephanie was trying to find out how to convert those measurments to an actual pattern and then lay it out. I forwarded a diagram to her which is very basic and I will cover the variables with her via E-mail.

If anyone else is interested, I will be happy to include you in the instruction and send you a diagram too.

I have a painfully slow dial up so I'm not too sure I could do an online clinic. Maybe Johanne could answer that.

Blake

Romey, thanks for the advice,I appreciate all the help I can get...Stephanie

Blake, I received the diagram and am looking forward to Lesson # 1

Thanks Stephanie

Hi Stephaine,

I can't remember where I got this set of instructions, but they work. I think I paid something for these but have no idea who or how much (not too much I guarantee). These cover pattern making and do require a little bit of sewing (construction and design) knowlege.

Art

Thanks Stephanie

**Removed attachment to make sure we have permission from the author to post it. Sorry for the inconvenience. Johanna

Very nice, thanks Art!

Hi Stephaine,

I can't remember where I got this set of instructions, but they work. I think I paid something for these but have no idea who or how much (not too much I guarantee). These cover pattern making and do require a little bit of sewing (construction and design) knowlege.

Art

**Removed attachment to make sure we have permission from the author to post it. Sorry for the inconvenience. Johanna

AHHH!!! what I miss, what I miss??

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

I am sorry but I pulled the trigger too soon. That pattern is copyrighted and I shouldn't have sent it. Fortunately Johanna caught it and took it off. My Bad, sorry.

Art

AHHH!!! what I miss, what I miss??

Stephanie

Stephanie, here is a link shows how and where to measure Measurements As one makes a few sets i have no doubt youll figure out the best fit. Few (none) working cowhands that I know buy store bought chaps or much else for that matter,weekend warriors not included. From hat to saddle to boots custom is the way to go for serious rigors of cowboyin and a real good maker of chaps and chinks that understands where buckles should be or how a set should fit to prevent crippling a fella from wearing a hole in your leg is invaluable.

Stephanie, here is a link shows how and where to measure Measurements As one makes a few sets i have no doubt youll figure out the best fit. Few (none) working cowhands that I know buy store bought chaps or much else for that matter,weekend warriors not included. From hat to saddle to boots custom is the way to go for serious rigors of cowboyin and a real good maker of chaps and chinks that understands where buckles should be or how a set should fit to prevent crippling a fella from wearing a hole in your leg is invaluable.

Thanks Romey, the last thing I need to do is get someone sored up. I really want to get it right. Any one can sell the first set...I want repeat business and positive word of mouth. I appreciate the lead. Another bunch that I will try to get chaps on is the guys and gals at the track. There is another thing I have to consider, they ride pretty short , should I worry about leather weight or add in an inch around at the knee, or put in a heel down. I used a heel down ,but never rode as short as the Jocks. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks Stephanie

Thanks, Bruce for the kind referral! We do carry the Chaps DVD by Dusty Johnson. We sold out the last of our VHS tapes on that one, and it's now only available on DVD. We also have the Holsters and Saddlemaking instructionals from Dusty.

The full-size patterns are included, along with instructions on how to adjust them both vertically and horizontally. It covers chinks, biker chaps, batwings, and a lot of techniques for layout and construction.

Whether you get yours from me or someone else (Dusty's a great guy) I highly recommend it.

Thanks, Bruce for the kind referral! We do carry the Chaps DVD by Dusty Johnson. We sold out the last of our VHS tapes on that one, and it's now only available on DVD. We also have the Holsters and Saddlemaking instructionals from Dusty.

The full-size patterns are included, along with instructions on how to adjust them both vertically and horizontally. It covers chinks, biker chaps, batwings, and a lot of techniques for layout and construction.

Whether you get yours from me or someone else (Dusty's a great guy) I highly recommend it.

Thank you for the information and I will be coming to your place soon for the Dusty Johnson CD's. You have most of what I will be needing. Thank you Stephanie

Thank you for the information. I will be coming to your place soon, for the Dusty Johnson cd's. You have much of what I need and then much much more !. Thanks Stephanie

Anytime, Stephanie. And best of luck with your projects--if there's anything we can do, or answer, don't hesitate to give a holler.

Also, if you haven't tried Goliger for your chap leather, I'd recommend them highly. I've always had good service from them, they carry a bunch (24) different colors, plus metallics. I use a lot of metallics when I take chap orders from bullriders--gotta have the flashy fringe & filigrees. If you're doing chinks or chaps for work, they can help out there, too.

Goliger's website is www.GoligerLeather.com

Anytime, Stephanie. And best of luck with your projects--if there's anything we can do, or answer, don't hesitate to give a holler.

Also, if you haven't tried Goliger for your chap leather, I'd recommend them highly. I've always had good service from them, they carry a bunch (24) different colors, plus metallics. I use a lot of metallics when I take chap orders from bullriders--gotta have the flashy fringe & filigrees. If you're doing chinks or chaps for work, they can help out there, too.

Goliger's website is www.GoligerLeather.com

Thank you Bruce G.

The lead to Goliger is much appreciated. From what I have seen here and at your site,there is some awesome talent here,very willing to help folks like me who are learning. Thanks Stephanie