CharlieR

Embossing Tool

OK--I have a small Tandy embossing tool--the kind with the different wheels that attach to a handle--and have tried several times, unsuccessfully, to use them. How do you use them effectively? What am I doing wrong? I do not get a consistant pattern.

1.. case the leather

2..apply firm pressure and creat the design.

Exactly what Luke said. All I can add is that as you apply the firm pressure, go very slowly while you roll out the design.

Charlie - Would you let us know how it turns out. I've thought about getting some of these wheels, but wasn't sure if they were any good.

I got 2 of those wheel, one floral and one rope. Just about gave up on them. They don't roll smoothly.

If you apply light pressure, you don't get a nice print.

If you apply more pressure, the wheel kinda rolls, hickety hack, and the tendency to go off-course at that point is very high. I tried placing a wooden ruler to guide it, and no go, it goes wherever it wanna go.

And the rope wheel came too tight to fit into the tool, I had to file the sides to make it fit, and by the time it could fit, part of the rope got filed off.

I have come to the conclusion that these little wheels are junk.

I had a feeling that they might do what reddevil said they did. I'm glad I never bought any. Thanks.

Try at different angle, more vertical, and what will work better for you - pull or push. Any uncontrollable application of force instead of even firm pressure, while hand with roller slides along supported by pinkie finger, and your work may be ruined. If you can hand burnish edges or do the tooling, you can use embossing wheel. :yes:

If you have a book by Raymond Cherry, if memory serves, it has a photo how to apply the smaller wheels (like rope), along the plastic shape to make a nice round embossed line. Larger wheels require more pressure, but it's more a matter of angle of application and pull-or-push than the force applied. At least it is so for me.

I saw a video of someone using that tool and they went back and forth with the tool over and over without lifting it off the leather to get a good impression.

rolling back and forth is a good way to get off track by just a smidge, and have a doubled line.

That's what I thought too but it worked and the pattern appeared deeper with every pass.

If I recall he was using a straight edge.

rolling back and forth is a good way to get off track by just a smidge, and have a doubled line.

OK--I have a small Tandy embossing tool--the kind with the different wheels that attach to a handle--and have tried several times, unsuccessfully, to use them. How do you use them effectively? What am I doing wrong? I do not get a consistant pattern.

Charlie R:

Thanks for your question, and to those that responded. I had considered buying that setup, but have held off due to being unable to find any articles on them. You folks just saved me some money!! So, what do I owe ya!! :-)

Thanks,

Roger