truenorth

Filling A Bobbin

There has to be a correct way of filling bobbins, I have been told not to let the presser foot ride the throat plate while filling,is this right?will it damage something?Is this the case for all machines?

It won't really hurt anything, other than it's noisy and does bang the feed dogs a bit. It's better to lift the foot a bit either with the knee lift or the manual lift on your particular machine. Most important is making sure your needle is unthreaded and that you hang on to the loose needle thread so it doesn't get all tangled up. If an operator has on a Teflon foot, it does tear it up if you don't lift your foot. Regards, Eric

Eric gave you some good advice.I also like to add it's best not to get in the habit of wnding the bobbin w/o sewing in 5 yers time you'll have 10 ys of wear on the machine.You can wind bobbins w/a drill if needed by getting a small bolt & nut that fits in your bobbin & wind them w/o have to spin your machine.

Eric gave you some good advice.I also like to add it's best not to get in the habit of wnding the bobbin w/o sewing in 5 yers time you'll have 10 ys of wear on the machine.You can wind bobbins w/a drill if needed by getting a small bolt & nut that fits in your bobbin & wind them w/o have to spin your machine.

That brings a good question about bobbin winders. What if you have one that won't click open when the bobbin is full, no matter how much tweaking and adjusting?

Chuck

Which machine?

If you have oiled and adjusted (bend finger down to release sooner) the release finger mechanism and the bobbin winder still won't release when the bobbin is full, buy a new winder assembly.

Im specifically asking for the adler 205-370 will the presser foot stay up while winding?I am waiting to get the manual hope iot shows it,.and it does have the winder attached to the side

Thanks everyone and delete my last post!

Which machine?

If you have oiled and adjusted (bend finger down to release sooner) the release finger mechanism and the bobbin winder still won't release when the bobbin is full, buy a new winder assembly.

I've tinkered with bending and twisting the finger, tightening and loosening the screw. The mechanism moves freely, but when the thread touches the finger, it jumps to the side closest to where it touched and would just keep going on one side endlessly. Hopefully that made sense.

Chuck

I've tinkered with bending and twisting the finger, tightening and loosening the screw. The mechanism moves freely, but when the thread touches the finger, it jumps to the side closest to where it touched and would just keep going on one side endlessly. Hopefully that made sense.

Chuck

You need to back the entire wider assembly away from the belt. Loosen up the winder, engage it to the wind position, and slide it into the belt just enough to turn the winder. What's happening is your spring's too wimpy to disengage the winder from the high belt tension. Regards, Eric

Chuck,is the thread winding even as it goes from side to side?If it piles up on one side you can loosen the screw on the tension unit & slide alittle to the other side to get a even wind.You might need to keep turning the screw on the finger more to the left until it starts working.Or you might even have to bend the finger up to get it to kick off.

Chuck,is the thread winding even as it goes from side to side?If it piles up on one side you can loosen the screw on the tension unit & slide alittle to the other side to get a even wind.You might need to keep turning the screw on the finger more to the left until it starts working.Or you might even have to bend the finger up to get it to kick off.

I have it winding even. I think Eric might be right, but I broke the finger off last night messing with it..... Have any winders for sale? Lol

Chuck

Yes,we do & we also have the spring (aka finger) too if you just want to get that.

For convenience, I simply wind my Cowboy bobbins on my 42-5 machine, which sits right beside my Cowboy. The winder fits the cowboy bobbins nicely. It only takes a few seconds to fully wind one, so what is the point of worrying about automatic dis-engage features ? I just guide the thread by hand to keep it even, and stop winding when the bobbin is full. You could do it just as well with an electric drill and a wooden dowel. My Cowboy has a built-in winder, which will wind while sewing, and automatically dis-engage, but it is much slower, so I don't bother with it. Keep it simple, folks !!!