Sign in to follow this  
Dwight

Old Show Saddle Finished: Thanks For The Help

I just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone who posted and helped on this project. He came and picked it up today, and I don't think many kids in a candy store were a lot happier than he was.

I replaced the little "D" ring up by the horn, . . . both of the "D" rings for attaching the breast strap, . . . re-stitched the whole top of the saddle horn (after I took out the nylon monofilament fishing line someone previously used), . . . I re-sewed the outside edge just about all the way around it (all hand sewing, . . . ughhhh), . . . gave it a real good bath, . . . and oiled it lightly.

The silver conchos were a pain to polish, got them done, . . . replaced the rosettes underneath them, . . .

Most importantly, I learned a lot, . . . and a tip of the Stetson goes to "justken" who invited me to his saddle shop, . . . we looked the job over, . . . got a lot of good advice from him, . . . and during the process, made a new friend.

I read each post and did most of what was suggested, . . . and again, . . . thanks to all.

You've seen the "before" pics, . . . these are "during" and "after".

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-003478300 1286335538_thumb.jpg

post-6728-004965100 1286335558_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dwight

Dwight

The saddle looks great. Nice job!

I was wondering, was a new latago put on? I ask because it looks pretty old and could be unsafe if used for riding.

Also, did the left rear corner ever flatten out for you?

Joel

Thanks for the good words, Joel.

He didn't want to do the expense of new latigo, and I got all the corners down a lot flatter than they were in the beginning, . . . but not "flat" flat.

It certainly was a learning process, . . . looking forward to someday building one. It may wind up a living room decoration, . . . but I've done other things that didn't make even that much sense, . . . and it was good.

May God bless,

Dwight