Phoenix63

11/12 Oz. Leather. What Is It Good For?

I'm a newbie. I made the mistake of buying leather before I knew what I wanted to make. After reading a little bit, I found out that almost nobody uses this thickness. Please help give me some ideas of what I can make out of single side of 11/12 oz. leather.

Thank you.

I thought 11/12 oz. might be a little too heavy duty....thank's. I will reconsider.

You could definitely make an awesome briefcase. Would be heavy duty but doable.

I use this weight leather for durable tooled belts and large dog collars However you must bevel and burnish the edges otherwise the finished product will look too "chunky".

Cheers,

Lois

Belt, Western gun belts Western holsters, Sheaths for large knives, Rifle Scabbards, Armour, many other things. It will not bethe best choice for dress belt and smaller width womens belts.

I've used 11-12oz. veg a lot...saddle skirting (what it is commonly sold as), outsoles for built-up sandals, heavy weight pistol belts, harness and bridle parts, industrial protective gear, etc. It's also nice to have scraps of this weight (and heavier) around for those folks that come into the shop looking for things like leather pump gaskets and washers, etc.