lightingale

Can You Hand-Stitch Through Two 8-9Oz Pieces?

I've been tooling dog collars for a few months now, and I'd like to try my hand at filigree, which would entail stitching the two pieces together, something I've never done. I've attached a photo of the kind of work I'd like to do.

I got the hand sewing kit and a pony from Tandy, and I've been trying to do some test stitches. Even after sharpening the awl, I'm unable to get it through both pieces of 8-9oz leather. Am I just a weakling? Using a crappy awl? Clueless at sharpening? I don't think it should be this difficult...

How would you approach a filigree dog collar? Skive down both pieces to make them thinner?

post-29375-012639700 1336940975_thumb.jp

Edited by lightingale

A decent awl properly shaprened, should fall through that much leather. I use Osborne awls and it takes a while to get them sharp but sharp and polished, they go through 3/4" with a light push. I know they are high but a Bob Douglas awl is as good as it gets. You would learn to sew by hand a lot quicker and know how an awl should feel. I ruined a lot of awl blades before I learned to get them good enough to work for me. Stohlman's book on tools and sharpening them is a good place to start learning to properly sharpen them. Hope this helps. Ken

Edited by Ken Nelson

I used the small diamond awl from Tandy on 16-18oz leather for holsters. It was extremely dull when I bought it. I worked it over on my diamond stone, polished the edges and had no trouble. You have to support the leather with your opposite hand to keep the leather from flexing over as you push the awl into the leather, which makes the leather bind on the blade. It also helps if you keep a beeswax chunk handy and stab the awl blade in it every few stitches.

Ken Nelson is right. the awl blade must be sharp and properly polished...The edges should be knife sharp and the whole thing should be mirror polished. Strop it before and after each project you use it on to maintain it.

Aha. I had a nagging feeling it was a sharpness issue... I'll look into Stohlman's book on tools to learn how to sharpen properly. I also ordered an Osborne awl, which will hopefully be an improvement.

Thanks folks!

I've been tooling dog collars for a few months now, and I'd like to try my hand at filigree, which would entail stitching the two pieces together, something I've never done. I've attached a photo of the kind of work I'd like to do.

I got the hand sewing kit and a pony from Tandy, and I've been trying to do some test stitches. Even after sharpening the awl, I'm unable to get it through both pieces of 8-9oz leather. Am I just a weakling? Using a crappy awl? Clueless at sharpening? I don't think it should be this difficult...

How would you approach a filigree dog collar? Skive down both pieces to make them thinner?

With a good awl --- and patience, you can go through as much leather as needed. Like the welt on this holster I made a while ago. Mike

001-5.jpg

008-3.jpg

With a good awl --- and patience, you can go through as much leather as needed. Like the welt on this holster I made a while ago. Mike

008-3.jpg

Holy crap, Katsass! (Love the name by the way). Did you stitch 7 layers of leather together in that holster? That's really impressive! Good to know what's possible :)

I need to do some serious sharpening!

Holy crap, Katsass! (Love the name by the way). Did you stitch 7 layers of leather together in that holster? That's really impressive! Good to know what's possible :)

I need to do some serious sharpening!

Actually, it's nine layers of leather --- counting the 2/3oz lining leather. Mike