frank207

Cutting your own leather for Belts

About 4 weeks ago I purchased a Tandy Delux Kit. I'm retired and decided on leathercraft as my hobby and possible craft fair income. I have made a couple of things from the kit and a dog collar on my own for my dog, actually two, the first one was too short!

What I'm most interested in doing now are Belts, Dog Collars, Cat collars & leashes. Buying belt blanks from Tandy can get to be expensive. I would like to know how to buy, square-off and cut belt blanks from a hide myself. Also, how many belt blanks can you get from a specific type of hide? Any other information related to this topic that you can provide to this Newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yes, there is a tanning factory about 15 miles away and they have a retail outlet where they sell hides and leathercrafters sell their goods. I'm hoping to buy the leather their once I know what I'm looking for.

This is a great forum and I'm looking forward to getting many of my questions answered as I move along in this craft.

Thankyou

Frank

I take a long straight edge to make the initial cut. Once I have the first edge to go by, then it's a matter of taking the strap cutter and making a strap of the desired width. Not rocket science, but you do have to pay attention to what you are doing. Once you've done a few, it gets fairly easy.

Oh yes, there is a tanning factory about 15 miles away and they have a retail outlet where they sell hides and leathercrafters sell their goods. I'm hoping to buy the leather their once I know what I'm looking for.

I would be trotting on overthere ASAP and make some new friends. There arent many tannerys around anymore.

while youre there, let them know what youre doing and youre looking to learn something. Picking hides is a thing you have to learn in the flesh (so to speak).

also, if youre lucky, they may show you how to make straps out of a side and what parts are usable and what parts arent for your purposes.

have fun.

+1 above - go meet the neighbors! :)

For straps, also as mentioned above. Get your straight edge cut, then go right ahead with a strap cutter.

As a side note there has been a post in the past that indicated that the blanks from tandy are slightly less in the width (1/16" or 1/8" I think) than the listed size. This apparently is standard operating procedure with most precut belt blanks, I think it is done so the belt blanks fit the buckles interior measurements without binding or wearing on the edges. Just a little tidbit to keep in mind when you cut your own belt straps.

Just for the FYI, you will get about 26 belts at 1 1/4 inch and about 21 belts at 1 1/2inch out of a side.

first thing I'd tell you to do is get two books by Al Stohlman. Belts Galore, and Leathercraft Tools. The belt book will explain how to make your own blanks and keep you from making the simple mistakes like making it too short. The tools book will teach you how to use each tool properly as well as maintain it.

Like mentioned before... Go meet the neighbors!

Marlon

P.S. Welcome to the forum.