Fredo

New Gun, Looking To Buy A Pattern

B-days come and they go, after 25 yrs of marriage the wife just asks what i want. So I decided to get a favorite of mine. I found a Star Firestar M40, at a local gun shop. Unfotunately for me, thhey also have another fav of mine. The same gun in .45 cal. I guess I'll have to go back and get that one too.

Now I need to see if I can find a pattern or two for it (them). Just about any style, but mostly interested in a concealed carry. Does anyone have one they would be willing to sell me?

Thanks in advance.

Fredo

Edited by Fredo

You have the gun, so why don't you make your own pattern? If you do that, it will fit you, and the gun perfectly.

You have the gun, so why don't you make your own pattern? If you do that, it will fit you, and the gun perfectly.

BIGGUN you're right,

I've been reading all of the tutorials and I know you're right. It's just that some of the folks on here are so damn good at it I was a bit intimidated to trying it my self.

I will be doing that though, what have I got to loose? Worse case is I learn something new.

BIGGUN you're right,

I've been reading all of the tutorials and I know you're right. It's just that some of the folks on here are so damn good at it I was a bit intimidated to trying it my self.

I will be doing that though, what have I got to loose? Worse case is I learn something new.

That's the right attitude.

Your first one is going to have many lessons in it, including that it's your first one.

Pattern making of any leather item should be early in the learning process, I believe.

Good luck, and be sure to share.

All you need to do now is study other holster styles that you like, and apply those design ideas to your holster.

The pattern does not have to be perfect on the exterior, just make sure it is at least too big, as it can be trimmed as you go. It is a lot tougher to make it bigger if it is too small to start with.

Take your time, ask questions, and good luck.

Don't be intimidated. Every one of us in business today started by drawing that first holster we wanted for ourselves.

Grab a pencil and some manilla folders and have fun.

Thanks for the encouragement and input folks, I'll be giving it a shot as soon as I pick up the gun.

SPECIAL thanks to MATTSH for the tutorial that even a rookie like me can follow.

Also thanks to Shorts whoever you are, your holsters are beautiful.

Good way to go after it, Fredo. Building your own pattern will teach you things that you can't learn unless you're involved in that crucial step. As you work on the pattern, you'll discover why things are done the way they are. When I first got into this addictionhobby I had a somewhat heated discussion w/ K-man about holster design....ME a total and complete NOOB, and I was arguing design theory w/ a holster maker!! Needless to say, after a bit of experience, I removed my foot from my mouth, ate my Crow like a good boy, and offered a sincere apology, which he graciously accepted. I had theory, not reality, and without the experience of making a few failed holsters, I never would have understood. By making your own, you'll have the Newbie experience to understand 'the little things', and not be tempted to take short cuts.

As posted, ask questions, post pics, and we will assuredly do all we can to help you with the project.