LeatherHead99

How Do You Accomplish This Look -- Black W/ White Impressions

I was just browsing around looking for ideas for my next project and came across this on Ebay. ( the maker may be on this forum ) I like the look of the light impressions on a dark background. The white on black is a bit different from the typical antique look... Did he / she hand paint all those impressions? or is there another way to achieve this look?

Its really clean like an antique would look after being applied, very crisp and uniform.

cd51_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-MADE-GENUINE-LEATHER-GUITAR-STRAP-BLACK-WITH-NAME-AND-SILVER-CONCHOS-/390551335615?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5aeeac72bf

It looks like it has been block dyed. Block dying you take a block of wood wrap in cloth dip in dye, wipe the cloth wrapped block acros the leather length wise this allows you to work the dye into the surface f the leather but not into the impressions. This link shows a good demonstration http://www.leatherburnishers.com/

X2 on Block dyed.

Chief

+3 on block dying.

it's not actually white in the "tooling", it's just natural leather.

It looks like it has been block dyed. Block dying you take a block of wood wrap in cloth dip in dye, wipe the cloth wrapped block acros the leather length wise this allows you to work the dye into the surface f the leather but not into the impressions. This link shows a good demonstration http://www.leatherburnishers.com/

Not sure, but I think you may of given me the wrong link. I couldn't find a demonstration of block dying on that web page.

+3 on block dying.

it's not actually white in the "tooling", it's just natural leather.

Thanks.........Man!..it really looked white to me, but I'm partially shade blind anyway. If I saw it in person, It would of been a bit more obvious to me. Makes more sense that its natural color instead of white though.. It seems like that would be a difficult look to obtain.

Right you are not sure how I got that link in there try this one. It is not a tutorial just the steps they take in block dying, however it gives you the basic idea. http://mysite.verizo...leatherbelt.htm

Edited by camano ridge

Right you are not sure how I got that link in there try this one. It is not a tutorial just the steps they take in block dying, however it gives you the basic idea. http://mysite.verizo...leatherbelt.htm

Awesome..thanks.. ..That helps a lot.

Im kinda glad you posted that other link....I had no idea they made those... I might have to invest in one of the dremel burnishers.. They look like they'd make easy work of burnishing edges.

I use a glove and a sock over my hand that way I can control the dye better. Just tip the jug over or bottle and hold your hand tight over it...squeeze your hand together and start rubbing very lightly until you have the flow. It is better than block dying in my opinion. I have a black, brown, red brown sock and the more you use them the better they get.

I use a glove and a sock over my hand that way I can control the dye better. Just tip the jug over or bottle and hold your hand tight over it...squeeze your hand together and start rubbing very lightly until you have the flow. It is better than block dying in my opinion. I have a black, brown, red brown sock and the more you use them the better they get.

I usually use one of my trusty blue shop paper towels :)

But, sometimes I have a problem where it squeezes out into my tooling because I'm pushing too hard.

I usually use one of my trusty blue shop paper towels :)

But, sometimes I have a problem where it squeezes out into my tooling because I'm pushing too hard.

That's what I usually have happen. I'm guessing dryer block and less pressure?

Chuck

A gentleman that I learned his technique from uses dry sponges and spirit dyes to get the same effects. Of course ask 10 leather workers how they block dye and get 10 different answers. Which is why I love what we do.

At least now I know that getting you socks for Xmas is a good idea!!!

At least now I know that getting you socks for Xmas is a good idea!!!

I just keep sending him my old used ones. I'm pretty sure they're getting thrown out at the border though as a "hazardous" material. :rofl:

hahahahaha

Ya...20 different answers....Do I really have to make a video??? I am working on 18 belts right now with that process:)

If you want to - do it!!

But, I'm sure there are some videos out there somewhere. I think everyone should just experiment and find the method that works best for their process :)

If you want to - do it!!

But, I'm sure there are some videos out there somewhere. I think everyone should just experiment and find the method that works best for their process :)

I agree experimenting is good, but it's nice to have ideas on how others do it to then do my own experimenting. Socks... maybe I'll chop up some old cotton tea towels.