Sign in to follow this  
Froghunter

one more for now

Here is a large trophy buckle I finished today. I know the lace is different tones, It was an old spool of light tan Superior I had laying around.

I do a lot of regular and small Masonic buckles, but figured there has to be ONE Mason out there who needs a Dinner plate Sized buckle!!!

Let me know what you think!

:whatdoyouthink:

LG_Masonic1.jpg

LG_Masonic2.jpg

post-5734-1200802367_thumb.jpg

post-5734-1200802378_thumb.jpg

Looks real good Frog. One thing I'd do is to either make your lace holes a tad closer, or use a bit wider lace.

Also I'm not sure that those secretive Masons would wear such a big identifier, unless it was at one of those secret ritual meetings.

Ken

Frog, I agree about thr closeness of the holes. Try a practice piece(or two or three), make the holes about a 1/2 hole width apart, then maybe try a bit wider. Get the feel for how your type of braid likes to 'lay' depending on the distance between holes.

This distance looks like you could have added one more weave to fill in the extra space given the hole spacing.

I don't have a problem at all with the contrasting color, I think the light color lace frames the image.

Good job, man.

Frog, I agree about thr closeness of the holes. Try a practice piece(or two or three), make the holes about a 1/2 hole width apart, then maybe try a bit wider. Get the feel for how your type of braid likes to 'lay' depending on the distance between holes.

This distance looks like you could have added one more weave to fill in the extra space given the hole spacing.

I don't have a problem at all with the contrasting color, I think the light color lace frames the image.

Good job, man.

Yes, I do agree about the spacing for the holes. This was a practice piece, just some leather I had hanging around! I think I was a little "Scared" of getting the holes too close together. I'll definately do better next time!!

Does anyone have a tried and true MEASUREMENT they use when installing lacing holes? I have been trying to use 1/8 and 3/16 depending on the lace I am using. Right now I use mostly Roo lace, except on pieces like this where I use Superior Lace from Tandy.

Thanks for all the pointers! I know I will learn a lot from here!!!!

Frog,

1/8" lace 1/8" hole spacing

3/32" lace 3/32" hole spacing

1/4" lace 1/4" hole spacing

If your doing something such as a seat where the tope piece is bigger than the bottom piece, always mark your holes on the smaller piece first, then you know how many holes you will need on the top piece, Measure the outer edge of the top piece and divide the length by the ammount of holes you need. I always use a metric measurement for this, as it is way easier to do the math..

Ken

And I hate math too!!! :head_hurts_kr:

Thanks, for the info. I will deinately do better next time!