Sign in to follow this  
Dwing8

8 Strand Round Braid With Core

I'm trying to learn how to do an 8 strand round braid with a core. I'm using 3/32 Superior lace around a core of 4oz. leather 1/4 inch wide. I attached the lace 3 strands on top, 3 strand on back and 1 strand on each side. My first try looked great on the top side but when I turned it over to look at it there was a lot of daylight between the strands. I unbraided and started over this time putting some mink oil paste on the strands hoping I could pull them tighter but that didn't help much. Is the problem the size of the core? I have pulled the strands so tight I'm afraid I'll break them but I still have daylight.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Dano

Try using a smaller core or wider straps or go for a 12 thongs braid instead of 8.

Cheers,

Enrique

Trying to cover a flat piece with a round braid can be really difficult so just play with it until you get good coverage. Increase strand size or number of strands. Type of braid (o2 u2 o2 vs o3 u3) can make a big difference as well

Thanks for the replies! I feel honored getting them from some of the best craftsmen I've come across here! I started over and used 1/8 Lace over a 3/8 flat core of the same 4 oz leather. That 3/32 was to small for me to learn on anyway. This time I tried a new technique, I pull upward/away from me as I tighten the strand and it seems to "scootch" the braid upward giving the coverage on the backside and still keep the braid tight. Hey, I get lucky sometimes......

Thanks again!

Dano

What really helped me with the backside of my braid was when I learned you pull the strand tight before you plait it not after. All of the other suggestions you got sounded good too. Good luck.