Krithil

How to become a saddle maker?

At first I apologise my bad English... I'm 19-year-old girl from Finland and I would like to become a saddle maker. The problem lies with the fact we have no such education in Finland. Do you know any saddle maker schools in Europe or America? UK could be the best.

It would be importat to learn how to make trotting harness, because trotters are much more common in Finland than riding horses. Also repairing saddles and other tack is needed. At the moment I can do bridles, halters and other easy stuff.

Edited by Krithil

First off welcome krithil there are a bunch in the us not sure about the uk, I am not the one to answer this question but you will get help with it, good luck.

Josh

Hang on Girl there are alot of Saddle Guys here who I am sure will be along to help,Do not Apologize my Finnish is Non Existant! Oh and welcome to a great forum!!

One of the best saddlery schools in the UK is the London School of Saddlery at Capel Manor, just to the north of London. I studied there for a short refresher course a few years ago, and the teaching and the environment were excellent.

Details can be found at http://www.capel.ac.uk/saddlery/

Terve Krithil.

There is a saddlery school in Sweden, 3 year education. I know they have / had students from both Norway, Denmark, Finland and Åland. I teach a western saddle class there every year. http://www.sadelmakeriskolan.com/.

In the same building there is a big tannery where they also produce harness and tack. http://www.tarnsjogarveri.se/

/ Knut

Edited by oldtimer

Celticleather,

London school of Saddlery, is that where Cordwainer's saddley course went to? I often wondered what happened to all the equipment etc went to? Who was teaching saddlery when you were there??

Regards

dam

Hi David

Yes - Capel Manor teach the Cordwainers' Diploma - and they have an amazing collection of tools and equipment!

I was taught by a Belgian/Japanese girl called Eva Ishida, but I can't remember the name of the Head of Department - I think she may have been South African. I think Eva has now fulfilled her ambition of opening a saddlery, in Belgium at http://www.liniacsaddlery.com/.

Terry

oldtimer, I know that place but jag talar inte svenska.

OK, Krithil, but that was a good start in swedish! I know they don´t speak Finnish at Tärnsjö saddlery school either, so I can see that there will be a linguistic problem! :blahblahblah:

Ei ymmärä ! ( I don´t understand) :)

/ Knut

Capel:

"Entry Requirements

Normal entry requirements are BTEC First Diploma or 4 GCSEs at Grade C or above (or equivalent) or other qualifications of an equivalent standard or relevant experience plus Accreditation of Prior Learning and Experience."

The Saddlery Training Centre:

"Who can apply?

The New Entrants Training Scheme is primarily designed for apprentices, aged normally between 16 and 25, employed in firms in a rural area of England with a population of less than 10,000. Applicants from other areas may be accepted if places are available."

Both of them reguires previous experience, am I right? They won't take beginners? If I go there, will I learn only saddle making? There is not much information on web pages. Do you know any schools in the USA? (Trotting harness, english saddles, not only western saddles.)

Edited by Krithil

I know this is a old topic but I have now the same broblem as krithil had five years ago. I'm 17 years old girl from finland and I would like to become a saddle maker. I don't speak swedish so Tärnsjö isn't an option and I can't go to Ypäjä equine college either. UK could be a good place for me. I don't have any experience in saddle or harness making, but I do a lot of sewing and things like that. Do you know any good places to study saddle making?

(Sorry for the bad English)