Sign in to follow this  
JoelR

Turning a lemon into lemonade - Colt 1911 TIWB

I had promissed two guys I shoot with that I would make them 1911 holsters similar to the holster I had made for myself. Since the pattern was proven I made an aluminum pattern out of the paper originals and used it to cut out the first pieces with it. After cutting the pieces out, I realized I had forgotten to mark which-side-up on the templates - the original design is a flesh side out... So, it either became a smooth holster or a lefty and neither of the shooters is a lefty so I went with a smooth side out and would ask if either was interested after it was complete. The first guy I showed it to said 'YES' without pause... Still working on that final fit-and-finish to match the quality I'm seeing from the others, but at least I have my edges down.

DSCF0444.JPG

post-10631-1254187703_thumb.jpg

Edited by JoelR

Interesting design, looks good and very stable. Im sure whoever got it will have it for a very long time.

It is by far the most comfortable 1911 holster I have worn. No digging of any kind and really fast access. Problem I had with this one was I dyed the leather prior to assembly which resulted in the wrinkles. The hair side of leather seamed to become stiffer than the rest of the leather almost seamed to split itself when trying to bend everything for assembly - of course I did not wet the leather while bending it either which is my fault.