BulletProof

First Project Done, And Some Questions

post-34318-0-74331000-1349727457_thumb.jOK, I designed a case for my iPod Touch™. I finished building it... but I have some questions...

1. For cutting the inside and outside corners, does someone make a 1/4 round punch (like a strap-end punch) that I can use to cut neat corners? (see photo).

2. When I started the saddle stitch, it tended to pull at the starting hole and spread it a bit, opening the hole up. Is there a technique or trick here to start the sewing without distorting the hole?

3. Is there a method to estimate the thread needed to sew a given length? ( A x (# of holes) x (total stitch length) = Amount of thread) ???

4. Can you add thread in the middle of a stitch run if you run short?

5. How do you slick the edge of a piece of thin (3-4oz) leather?

Thank you in advance for all your help!!!

Ron (aka BulletProof)

Edited by BulletProof

Ron, you can use a round punch of the correct radius to cut the inside corners, and I use a circle template and a sharp knife for outside corners. Also, I use a series of straight cuts instead of trying to cut the curve. It makes a neater cut IMO.

2. It looks like you made your holes a bit big, and there's not a lot of leather left outside of the stitch. This might be your answer. Also, are you using a softer leather? Veg tanned? Was it wet or damp when you started stitching? This could also cause your hole distortion.

3. I've heard you should use roughly four times the distance of what needs to be stitched, but someone else could probably answer better. I'm still trying to figure this out as well.

4. Yes, you can. You need to start about two stitches back from your last stitch where you ran out, then trim the original thread after you've sewn past it. Al Stohlman's book on stitching has a great explanation of this.

5. Go to the edge slicking tutorial by Bob Park on this forum for how to slick edges. Leather weight doesn't really matter much.

Hope this helps,

Mike

2. Also, are you using a softer leather? Veg tanned? Was it wet or damp when you started stitching? This could also cause your hole distortion.

5. Go to the edge slicking tutorial by Bob Park on this forum for how to slick edges. Leather weight doesn't really matter much.

4oz Veg tan leather. It was dry. I am using a fid for punching the holes... maybe too big...

I will check out the edge slicking vid...

Thanks Mike!

Ron, I can almost guarantee a fid is too big for that project. I have been instructed by those here in the know that the smallest awl available is the proper way to start your stitching, and that advice has really improved the appearance and strength of my products.

Here's the link to the edge finishing thread BTW. Good luck on your next project! Your current one should serve you well.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18101

Mike

You can get hole punches of any size for inside corners. Just bought a 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" and 1".

For outside corners, take a look at http://leatherworker...topic=42883&hl=

CTG

Beat me to it Northmount.. I was going to point him towards the same thread, after we saw those corner cutters..they look to do a great job.. ;)

Ron, I can almost guarantee a fid is too big for that project.

Mike

I totally agree with Mike on this, as from what I understand, a fid is used primarily for lacing, not stitching and it will also leave a long slot instead of a diamond shaped hole, which is more desireable. The slot itself, could possibly lead to the holes ripping as you tighten on the thread.

There's always plenty of advice on the forums, with plenty of sticky threads for the most handy or important topics.. ;)

Regards

Phil

Edited by Horrrk

Beat me to it Northmount.. I was going to point him towards the same thread, after we saw those corner cutters..they look to do a great job..

They will work great on inside corners too! Didn't need to buy my big punches!

CTG

You will find that with some leathers and some threads that just a tiny bit of extra tension will cause the the thread to pull through the leather . Like a wire cheese cutter goes through cheese . Just the nature of things . Might look into some wood lathe gouges for the cornors . There are a bunch of garage machinists in any town seek one out and have your tool made . Hint make a couple so you can sell some and have yours for free . I like your case ,dont understand doubling the stitching over the strap . Bill

The site with the corner cutters is... in some foreign language that I cannot decipher (price etc.) is there an english equivalent?

Oversewing the strap... instructions told me to finish the saddle stitch by sewing back a couple holes... which put me in the middle of the strap. So I kept going until I was off the strap. Hey, this is my first project - first time I cut leather, first time I wet-formed, first time I dyed it, first time I edged it, first time I sewed it, first time I finished it.

I guess I was bound to make a mistake or two...

Edited by BulletProof

Dont get discouraged or offended. Its a great first effort and everyone here is offering opinions in an effort to improve. I know exactly how you feel since I made my first thing only two months ago. I had many of the same issues, and there are people here who have been doing this for 30-40 years!

Nice job, Now do it again, but better :)

Nice job, Now do it again, but better :)

Exactly. Do it again and you will get better at it. Try to improve each time. All of the sudden you will be doing great work.

Dont get discouraged or offended.

Lol, nope, not discouraged or offended! I came here to learn, and I appreciate very much all the council and suggestions. Actually I am pretty proud of my first effort.

I would like to get ahold of those corner cutters though if anyone knows an english site that had them...

Thanks again for all the help received here!

R.

The site with the corner cutters is... in some foreign language that I cannot decipher (price etc.) is there an english equivalent?

Read the whole thread. Alternate site, currency conversion. Alternate woodcarving tools.

CTG

Read the whole thread. Alternate site, currency conversion. Alternate woodcarving tools.

CTG

Yeah , tried that site... couldn't find them on there. But as my wife likes saying, I was probably looking with my a$$.

I will try again...

R.

Being proud of it!!!!!!!!!

that's the important word in here.....you made this with your own hands, and it is a first for you!!

Be proud of it, make another one....learn and then some more....but always be proud of it, you done well!!

James

Yeah , tried that site... couldn't find them on there. But as my wife likes saying, I was probably looking with my a$$.

I will try again...

R.

http://handon.co.kr/front/php/category.php?cate_no=26&page=2&offset=32&&1=1&mode=&sort_method=&pss_group=&pss_item=#normal_list

http://www.goodsjapan.jp/item/leathercraft-knives-sharpeners/craft-sha-leathercraft-safety-/lid=29749066

I think they are the same design tool.

Hi Electrathon.. I hope you don't think I'm criticising, as I certainly don't intend that, but I think there's some crossed wires somewhere along the line..

The links you've posted in the original thread and also these, above, lead to a completely different tool..

What you've linked to, looks like a curved wood plane, but what the original post by hunio showed on his first picture

post-33507-0-47746800-1349768955_thumb.j

and link,

post-33507-0-99632500-1349768967_thumb.j

http://handon.co.kr/...display_group=1

was a corner cutter for internal and external corners.

This is the tool that Bulletproof was asking for, in order to create neat corners.. ;)

I hope this clears things a little..

Bulletproof.. I've had a look on Google and so far I can't find an alternative site, selling those cutters..

I personally, would either try and message hunio for some extra details, or go with Bill's suggestion of using wood lathe gouges or having a couple of tools made up and selling one of them to help pay for the work.. ;)

Again..none of this is meant to offend..just to help..

Regards

Phil

Carving gouges are better, shorter length, 4 to 8" long roughly. Lathe gouges (except for miniature work) are 24" or more long. Carving gouges should be a little lower priced too.

CTG

Here are a couple links to carving gouges:

http://www.woodcarverswarehouse.com/_e/dept/04-001-001/Flexcut_Palm_Tools.htm

http://www.chippingaway.com/Search.htm?q=gouge

Edited by northmount

Hi Electrathon.. I hope you don't think I'm criticising, as I certainly don't intend that, but I think there's some crossed wires somewhere along the line..

Sorry about that. Good example of me trying to stay up after I took medication that makes me very sleepy.

Aaron

The price for that particular set is $90 and payment has to be wire transfer. Shipping through DHL would be around $50...so the whole thing is $140 ...not a bad set of tools...but $140 it's out of my league .

A 1in radius metal pipe cut in 4(lenght wise) will give 4(same size) similar tools..sharpen one end and put a handle on the other one and you are good to go.. Do that to a 1.5in a .75in and a .5in radius pipe and you have 4 sets of 4 different sizes corner cutters. Keep a set for yourself and sell the other 3...I am interested in one of them if it's done nicely !!!...lol...