Sign in to follow this  
Gonnate

Fitting leather to the edge of a box

Hi.

I'm making a box for Northumbrian smallpipes... Many thanks to UKRay for dissuading me from making the whole thing from leather! :)

The leather will now go round a plywood box, for appearance & extra protection. It's quite thick - 3mm, or 7-8 oz., depending which side you live! The problem I see in advance is fastening the leather to the edge "lips" of the box & the lid where they meet.

I could just glue it up to the edge, but I reckon it'll start coming loose after use.

It's too thick to simply bend back round the corner, so I have devised two possible solutions, and would like your comments on which may do better... or neither if you have a better idea, please.

Pipes_case_edge.jpg

I could skive it thinner up to the edge of the wood, then wrap it round, but doubt my ability at skiving a 24" edge that consistently, and one slip would ruin it all.

OR I could stitch it to some much thinner leather I have (goat) and then glue that round the edge, and tack in place on the inside.

Suggestions will be most welcome.

Thanks.

post-7495-1232634741_thumb.jpg

Hi.

I'm making a box for Northumbrian smallpipes... Many thanks to UKRay for dissuading me from making the whole thing from leather! :)

If I made any contribution at all, it was dissuading you from making it in papier mache!

I'm replying to your email asap but have been very hectic...

I know this may be a pain! Why not drill small holes at even spaces and stitch thru the leather and wood to give a different design? Or get your hands on a thin strip of brass and bend it round the lip, inside and out. Just a thought, or you may get better suggestions.

Thanks both UKRay & ScottishShoemaker. And you were quite right about the papiermache! (Though it is good stuff. I made my ventriloquist figure's head from it & it has once fallen on concrete & survived unscathed!)

Drilling holes.... hmm, lots, and LOTS of holes.... I like the brass strip idea, and I'd like the stitched through wood look - once I'd done it. I'll give 'em both a good think!

All ye best!

Just a thought, not sure where you live but try and find the series (3 volumes) of al stohlmans case making books. Tandy link

He does a couple of box type things and one that I remeber with a wood interior. Shows some really cool stuff that would probably help you out alot. I would look on amazon or something may find a better deal.

Just a thought, not sure where you live but try and find the series (3 volumes) of al stohlmans case making books. Tandy link

He does a couple of box type things and one that I remeber with a wood interior. Shows some really cool stuff that would probably help you out alot. I would look on amazon or something may find a better deal.

Thanks, MadMax22, I don't own it but recollect seeing it... someone I'm sure will correct me, but from memory I think he just deals with thinner leather, and is able to simply take it round the edge & fasten on the inside. My leather will be too thick for this to work.

All ideas welcome, though!

I've done a bit of this before - covering wood with leather. We have 3mm thick leather here and the best way is, unfortunatly, to skive it down. A race taken along the two folds will help form a crease and stop the strength of the thick leather pulling out and 'springing' away from the glued surface. Prep, prep, prep, glue, clamp, clamp, clamp, wait, wait, wait.

Edited by HarrAwl

e2a: If you skive the edge, it means you get a nice 'run in' to the wood on the inside. Instead of having a step from 3mm thick leather to the wood backing, it almost sits flush.

Case makers would use little brass tack rivets to hold the leather to the case. This would mean gluing it down, the drilling a pilot hole through the leather and into the wood, then driving in the tack.

I've done a bit of this before - covering wood with leather. We have 3mm thick leather here and the best way is, unfortunatly, to skive it down. A race taken along the two folds will help form a crease and stop the strength of the thick leather pulling out and 'springing' away from the glued surface. Prep, prep, prep, glue, clamp, clamp, clamp, wait, wait, wait.

This sounds seriously useful... as long as I can get the skiving right :head_hurts_kr: !

Just to show my ignorance, when you say "A race taken along the two folds..." sorry, I need you to explain what a race is here.

I suspect it isn't lots of little creatures competing to get to the other end first....

And how thin would you go down on the skiving?

Thanks!