Sign in to follow this  
Alicia Mary

Sewing Leather

Hello everyone!

I am new to sewing, and I'm looking to buy a sewing machine for upcoming leather projects that I will be doing (i.e. handbags, clutches, coin purses, etc.). I've been doing some research, and I found a few that sound like they'd get the job done. The one I have been looking at is the Janome HD1000 Heavy Duty sewing machine. Does anyone know anything about this machine? I read the reviews on it, and its getting a lot of very good ones... so I am leaning towards buying it. I'm looking for something affordable (yes, I know how expensive a good quality machine is! But I still need something AFFORDABLE!). Also, this may be a dumb question... but I was wondering if heavy duty sewing machines also sew lightweight materials?

I would really appreciate any advice!

Hello everyone!

I am new to sewing, and I'm looking to buy a sewing machine for upcoming leather projects that I will be doing (i.e. handbags, clutches, coin purses, etc.). I've been doing some research, and I found a few that sound like they'd get the job done. The one I have been looking at is the Janome HD1000 Heavy Duty sewing machine. Does anyone know anything about this machine? I read the reviews on it, and its getting a lot of very good ones... so I am leaning towards buying it. I'm looking for something affordable (yes, I know how expensive a good quality machine is! But I still need something AFFORDABLE!). Also, this may be a dumb question... but I was wondering if heavy duty sewing machines also sew lightweight materials?

The Janome is not a heavy duty sewing machine to do leather with. You Need To look in Leather Sewing Machines on the front page of this website and read the article by Wizcrafts

Hello everyone!

Alicia,

For sewing leather purses, clutches, handbags etc you'll need a cylinder bed, walking foot machine capable of sewing about 3/8" max thickness. A walking-foot or triple feed is needed when sewing multi layered leather to keep your materials from slipping and for feeding thicker material. The Janome machine is a home sewing machine that is not designed for sewing leather and its on-board motor is not powerful enough to withstand long term use.

Visit the sewing machine forum if you need more information or feel free to give me a call for some free advice!

Thanks,

Ron