david64

Domestic Singer Suggestion

Hello everyone!

I am new to the leathercrafting work and I have a question about what particular

old Singer sewing machine model to look for for sewing leather. From reading

some of the old posts it seems the Singer 29-4 is a good choice.

What I am asking is what particular old Singer domestic models would be adequate

for sewing items like; wallets, notebooks, belts etc. using vegetable tanned tooling

leather? A machine that I might run across at a flea marke, 2nd hand shop or garage

sale.

I would just be using the machine for small hobby projects.

Thanks!

I've used mt 15-91 for almost 2 years until I got my Cobra. I've sewn guitar straps with it lining the 8-9oz, and numerous other things. I have one for sale actually, it will sew up to 1/4" because it has the potted motor instead of the belt. PM me if you're interested after you look around. Cheryl

Unfortunately you are not going to find anything unless you have very low quality standards. The visible part of a wallet or belt sewn with 69 or similar thread is going to look bad. You need a machine that runs large thread if you want a quality look. They are hard to find and expensive.

But, if you are looking for something that is used to assemble the insides of wallets and such, there are a number of upholstery machines around that will work.

A 29K is not the best choice. It is an awesome machine to sew patches on a jacket though, or to patch your jeans (it sews all directions, including sideways).

DoubleC. thank you for your help. I found a Singer 15-91, with cabinet, owners manual

and two boxes of attachments on our local c-list......$30.00 for everything! runs great!

Good for you, think you'll love the machine!!!!

sure is :)