Sign in to follow this  
pete

Rotary cutters and strap cutters

I'm making more belts lately and wanted any feed back on 2 items.

First- How good a job does a rotary cutter do. I'vve seen them for years but have always used a head knife. I have no problem with it but am intrigued with the rotary style. Does anyone use one and are they easier for certain cuts? Do they work well?

Secondly- I want to start making more blanks. Is there a great difference between the wooden and stainless strap cutters that justifies the $50.00 difference?

ANY responses would be greatly appreciated.

pea-aire'

The Tandy ones are Aluminum not stainless. The screws that hold the blade strip easily, and I mean easily. Not much different from the wooden ones, although much heavier. I prefer the draw gauge to them, I just seem to be able to use it better.

Art

I'm making more belts lately and wanted any feed back on 2 items.

First- How good a job does a rotary cutter do. I'vve seen them for years but have always used a head knife. I have no problem with it but am intrigued with the rotary style. Does anyone use one and are they easier for certain cuts? Do they work well?

Secondly- I want to start making more blanks. Is there a great difference between the wooden and stainless strap cutters that justifies the $50.00 difference?

ANY responses would be greatly appreciated.

pea-aire'

Rotary cutters are excellent. Cuts using a straight edge go very quick especially with the larger cutters (2" + diameter). Blades are cheap because they last long if you use a cutting matt. On very tight inside corners, I cut the last 1/4" with sissor because the curve of the blade.

my 2c

Regis

I like the rotary cutters as long as you keep a sharp blade in them. I use a thin metal straightedge and it works well. I got mine at Wal-Mart cheaper than the one that Tandy sells. I have the wooden strap cutter, but haven't even taken it out of the package yet.

Hi again Pete,

I haven't found the small Olfa cutters to be much good, but the large ones (I have a 2.5 inch one that I picked-up at an quilting convention) will cut leather pretty well especially 6oz or less but even 9/11oz, but really great for 3/4oz stuff. They are also great for shaving a small sliver off and leaving a pretty clean cut. Garment leather cuts like butter with one. Outside radius cuts are pretty easy but inside forgetaboutit. Use a round punch for insides.

Art

pea-aire'

thanks to all- what a GREAT place to find out stuff!

I use the wooden strap cutter myself, never had any problems with it, and can't see why I'd want the metal one.

One day I really should get a proper draw gauge, but other things always seem to take priority.

For making the initial straight edge, I just lay out the line with a pencil and long straightedge, then cut with my round knife.

Regarding the roller cutters. use them all the time. They also do well with pinking blades. I cut up to skirting leather with no problems with the 45 mm blades. Sometimes they wont cut all the way through 16 oz if they are riding on a metal straight edge, but the partial thickness cut will guide the roller on a second pass without the straightedge, or use a round knife to complete the cut.

Now the wooden strap cutters - another story. I have two of the old maple ones made by the "Original" maker. They work well and track good. I bought a few from TLF from another source - feels like pine? They had them on special, and I figured I could just leave them set up for common widths. The blade slots on 2 were not parallel with the handle. One tracked in and one tracked out. Something to check for. I have a couple of nice older draw gauges - an old cavalry 6" Osborne, and a wood insert handle 4" Osborne. I like them. I got some blades from Bob Douglas for both. The blades were made by Bill Buchmann. They are the real deal. Sharp and hold an edge for me better than the Osborne blades. Draw guages demand respect, but the exposed blade can be started in a cut line in the middle that the protected strap cutter can't.

Great information- thank you. Where did you get the "original" and are they available still?

Pete,

The "Original" strap cutter may have the word original burned into the tp of the handle. They may also have "The Strap Cutter". Some of them are on ebay as new in package. They can be bought at some of the independent leathercraft dealers. They have moved around a bit. I have one marked from Palo Alto, CA, and I know they made them down the road in Stockton for awhile. The new ones from TLF have no makers markings on them. Two of the new ones were OK, the others weren't. A guy could shim them to guide OK. They just didn't track the way they came. I have the same trouble with a no-name draw gauge. I just need to let it sit out this winter and rust up, then sell it as "vintage" next spring.

Bruce, Do you have a contact # for Bob Douglas to get those

Blades for the Strap Cutter.?

Luke,

Sorry for the confusion. The blades from Bob Douglas are for the draw gauges, not the strap cutters. I expect someone could order the blades directly from Bill Buchmann, but I don't have any contact info for him. Bob usually has something or another I have been looking to upgrade, so it was just easier to order through him. Bob's number is (307) 737-2222. If you hve trouble reaching him, his daughter Vandy owns Sheridan Leather Outfitters. She might have them too, or can tell you when Bob might be home.

For the strap cutters, I usually use injector razor blades once I have used up the blades that come with it.

thanks, I am looking for Better Blades for the OSBORNE STRAP CUTTER.

Bill Buchman

63312 South Road

Bend, Oregon 97701

541-382-8851

Art

Luke,

Sorry for the confusion. The blades from Bob Douglas are for the draw gauges, not the strap cutters. I expect someone could order the blades directly from Bill Buchmann, but I don't have any contact info for him. Bob usually has something or another I have been looking to upgrade, so it was just easier to order through him. Bob's number is (307) 737-2222. If you hve trouble reaching him, his daughter Vandy owns Sheridan Leather Outfitters. She might have them too, or can tell you when Bob might be home.

For the strap cutters, I usually use injector razor blades once I have used up the blades that come with it.

ART, Thanks for the update....