smokin24

Just Another Belt

306492_271523969540109_100000475238747_1133220_6624214_n.jpg

302917_271523856206787_100000475238747_1133218_7573380_n.jpg

205842_271523786206794_100000475238747_1133217_4735474_n.jpg

Any critiquing is welcome.

And once again this is all hand stitched 9oz. with a 5oz. liner

Jarrett Van Curen

If you decide it isn't exactly what you wanted, I'll send you my address.

Very, very nice. Kept the best for yourself huh? Great stitching!

What is the lining and total weight.

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Kevin

If you decide it isn't exactly what you wanted, I'll send you my address.

Ha well everything is for sale for a right price

And as far as the total weight of the belt it's at a 13 to 14 oz belt

It's really quite lovely - well done!

HI, I would like to know what color stains you used - what brands and if you used any special techniques on the color. I like the finish.

Critique:

On the plus side, there is much to be admired about this belt. Excellent match up with the buckle set, the stitching is very well done, and the belt edge looks fine. Pretty fair tooling job with a few problems.

The first thing that strikes me about the pattern treatment is that the flowers seem way under tooled. This type of flower commonly known as a wild rose is used in many older Porter and other style patterns. It is also very often used in "Sheridan" style carving. It looks to me like you are looking for a sheridan type effect with the minimalist shading. When you do very little shading and that confined to the outer edges of the petal...there is a larger area left in the middle of the flower that is bare. Sheridan toolers usually handle this by using a center shader around the seedpod. Also, the petal edges should come closer to the seed pod, if not all the way to it. It is very important that these lines be beveled evenly, particulairly if you are going to "antique" the work, as the darker coloring will show up any uneveness more dramatically. This would also apply to where the edges of one flower overlaps the other,

In addition, I would suggest that you try to achieve more uniformity in your shading and seek to follow the natural flow of the design with it. I believe I see one petal where you beveled the wrong side of a line and for that I can only suggest that you study your pattern carefully before starting, and have it clear in your mind which elements are in front of other elements. I can't stress enough how important the process of pre-visualizing a design in your head is. This is why it is much better for beginner and intermediate leather toolers to learn by using designs with a photocarved pattern. With a representation of what the finished work should look like in front of them, it is much easier to pre visualize where they want to go.

Critique:

On the plus side, there is much to be admired about this belt. Excellent match up with the buckle set, the stitching is very well done, and the belt edge looks fine. Pretty fair tooling job with a few problems.

The first thing that strikes me about the pattern treatment is that the flowers seem way under tooled. This type of flower commonly known as a wild rose is used in many older Porter and other style patterns. It is also very often used in "Sheridan" style carving. It looks to me like you are looking for a sheridan type effect with the minimalist shading. When you do very little shading and that confined to the outer edges of the petal...there is a larger area left in the middle of the flower that is bare. Sheridan toolers usually handle this by using a center shader around the seedpod. Also, the petal edges should come closer to the seed pod, if not all the way to it. It is very important that these lines be beveled evenly, particulairly if you are going to "antique" the work, as the darker coloring will show up any uneveness more dramatically. This would also apply to where the edges of one flower overlaps the other,

In addition, I would suggest that you try to achieve more uniformity in your shading and seek to follow the natural flow of the design with it. I believe I see one petal where you beveled the wrong side of a line and for that I can only suggest that you study your pattern carefully before starting, and have it clear in your mind which elements are in front of other elements. I can't stress enough how important the process of pre-visualizing a design in your head is. This is why it is much better for beginner and intermediate leather toolers to learn by using designs with a photocarved pattern. With a representation of what the finished work should look like in front of them, it is much easier to pre visualize where they want to go.

just out of curiosity. Where can I see an example of your work? I liked the belt.

Edited by Rhide

just out of curiosity. Where can I see an example of your work? I liked the belt.

And your point is? ;................................ . He stated "Any critiquing is welcome"

It looks to me like you are one of those guys who just likes to cause trouble on the forum. Did you go to the trouble of doing a search to see what other posts I have made? No, of course you didn't. If you had, then you would know where I am coming from, and you would have seen examples of my work. So go soak your head.

And by the way - you need to work on smoothing out your beveling too!

"

Edited by WyomingSlick

First off thanks for critiquing. This was the exact type of response I was looking for. Everyone always just tells me how nice the stuff I make is but most will never point anything out, I know there is always something that could use help in one way or another but it's hard to point it out unless someone who has tooled for quite some time will point some stuff out.

Thank you once agin, Jarrett Van Curen

Excellent attitude, smokin'. Some while ago, I asked Johanna to post a checkbook cover I made, but to post it anonymously. I wanted the full critique, all comments, and no bias from friends. I got exactly what I wanted, which was a no holds barred critique of the piece. None of it was rude, but much of it was a bit harsh. I just didn't see anywhere else to improve on the piece, because I didn't know what to look for. Our members delivered an honest critique without knowing who the maker was. Sometimes, that's exactly what we need to help us move up to the next level in our craft.

And your point is? ;................................ . He stated "Any critiquing is welcome"

It looks to me like you are one of those guys who just likes to cause trouble on the forum. Did you go to the trouble of doing a search to see what other posts I have made? No, of course you didn't. If you had, then you would know where I am coming from, and you would have seen examples of my work. So go soak your head.

And by the way - you need to work on smoothing out your beveling too!

"

Actually I did search your posts first. After so many Your work sucks,I'm so cool, posts... I gave up and asked for an example of your work, from you. This wasn't to look for trouble or hijack smokin's post. I was honostly curious. Now I don't really care. You've demonstrated the level of maturity you wish to communicate on and I see no reason to continue beyond this post.

Enough bickering.

If anyone wants to get into a flame war, do it through PMs or email. Leave it off the open forum.

Please comment on if you have constructive criticism to add that is RELEVANT TO THIS THREAD.

Thank you.

306492_271523969540109_100000475238747_1133220_6624214_n.jpg

302917_271523856206787_100000475238747_1133218_7573380_n.jpg

205842_271523786206794_100000475238747_1133217_4735474_n.jpg

Any critiquing is welcome.

And once again this is all hand stitched 9oz. with a 5oz. liner

Jarrett Van Curen

When you hand stitch your belts what size thread and needles are you using?

mewebb@windstream.net

Thanks, Mark Webb

When you hand stitch your belts what size thread and needles are you using?

mewebb@windstream.net

Thanks, Mark Webb

Yeah Smokin24 what Mark said ^^^^

Please tell me a little more about the stitching.

To me, the belt looks great and you know, nothing is ever 100% perfect. The good news in working with leather is that you can improve with every project.

If I had to say anything negative about it I guess I could say that my eye is drawn to the crowded appearance at the end of the belt where the two flowers are crunched together. I know it's how the pattern goes but it looks kind of forced (Is this the right word, I dont know). BUT overall, it's a beauty and some people like limited decorative cutting. My grandfather said he always liked many of my projects better before I mucked it up with a bunch of decorative cutting. The things I made for him never had decorative cuts. He said it made it look all junky and trashed.

*shrug*

To each his own, right?

Too bad some people can't see through their egos to politely critique fellow hobbyists, and instead come out looking pompous and arrogant. I guess not everyone has people skillz.

g

Yeah Smokin24 what Mark said ^^^^

Please tell me a little more about the stitching.

To me, the belt looks great and you know, nothing is ever 100% perfect. The good news in working with leather is that you can improve with every project.

If I had to say anything negative about it I guess I could say that my eye is drawn to the crowded appearance at the end of the belt where the two flowers are crunched together. I know it's how the pattern goes but it looks kind of forced (Is this the right word, I dont know). BUT overall, it's a beauty and some people like limited decorative cutting. My grandfather said he always liked many of my projects better before I mucked it up with a bunch of decorative cutting. The things I made for him never had decorative cuts. He said it made it look all junky and trashed.

*shrug*

To each his own, right?

Too bad some people can't see through their egos to politely critique fellow hobbyists, and instead come out looking pompous and arrogant. I guess not everyone has people skillz.

Sorry I never answered before, but I hand stitched the belt using Nyltex waxed thread from Tandy. Thankfully I bought a Cobra Class 4 a few weekends ago at the Wichita Falls show. No more hand stitching for me.

g

Sorry I never answered before, but I hand stitched the belt using Nyltex waxed thread from Tandy. Thankfully I bought a Cobra Class 4 a few weekends ago at the Wichita Falls show. No more hand stitching for me.

Somehow, I was under the impression it was hand-stitched. Not sure why. Well it looks great and what a lucky puppy you are!! ;)

Thanks for answering.

Somehow, I was under the impression it was hand-stitched. Not sure why. Well it looks great and what a lucky puppy you are!! ;)

Thanks for answering.

This belt was hand stitched (4 1/2 hours) I was just saying that no more projects will be done this way. After stitching 7 or 8 belts by hand it was time for a machine.