Hi all,

I'm very new to leatherworking and am still finding my way around. I've made a couple of smaller items from offcuts, but am now looking at a larger project.

I am hoping to build a backpack based loosely on the front pocket backpack from Saddleback Leather:

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/frontpocketbackpack

One of the main critiques I've seen of this particular bag is the weight, so I thought I would use Kangaroo Leather instead.

As I live in Australia, it is fairly easily obtainable, and from what I understand it is quite strong. I'm just not sure whether it is right for this application or not, so I am hoping that I might be able to get some advice to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. Does anyone have experience with this leather, e.g. pros and cons, or has some idea of how it might go with a largish bag of this kind?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Daniel.

The only way I see you lightening it up is thinner leather, whatever the origin. Thinner leather might require using stiffeners, which will add some weight back. The thing about Saddleback bags is they are producing bags that they hope will last beyond the current user. So they build 'em very robust.

I used stiff chrome tan kangaroo leather before, only a few offcuts for practice.

If you use kangaroo, in my opinion it will look different than saddleback bags. Saddleback is meant to look rugged, so they use thick leathers with scratches and don't finish the edges of the bag. If thats not an issue you just have to add extra leather or stiffener so that it will hold its shape. Veg tan in itself will hold its shape, at 2-3 ounces it may be too thin for a rugged adventure bag, so if kangaroo is 2-3 ounces it could be too thin without any stiffener.

Another thing I want to add is that attempting a bag like that is not un heared of by a beginner but is a intermediate to advanced project. There are members that attempted the bag that had great results, but it is a difficult project that may put you off leather working...

The only way I see you lightening it up is thinner leather, whatever the origin. Thinner leather might require using stiffeners, which will add some weight back. The thing about Saddleback bags is they are producing bags that they hope will last beyond the current user. So they build 'em very robust.

That's a good point about them being robust - I currently own two of their bags, and they certainly are built to last! My hope is that kangaroo leather will have that robustness (or longevity at least) without the weight. I also plan on adding some padding to the back panel so that should help to stiffen it up a little. I'm not too concerned if the rest of the bag is a little more flexible.

I used stiff chrome tan kangaroo leather before, only a few offcuts for practice.

If you use kangaroo, in my opinion it will look different than saddleback bags. Saddleback is meant to look rugged, so they use thick leathers with scratches and don't finish the edges of the bag. If thats not an issue you just have to add extra leather or stiffener so that it will hold its shape. Veg tan in itself will hold its shape, at 2-3 ounces it may be too thin for a rugged adventure bag, so if kangaroo is 2-3 ounces it could be too thin without any stiffener.

Another thing I want to add is that attempting a bag like that is not un heared of by a beginner but is a intermediate to advanced project. There are members that attempted the bag that had great results, but it is a difficult project that may put you off leather working...

I have to admit that it is a little daunting considering something like this, but it is something I plan to complete over a fairly long period of time. I've attempted other craft projects of similar complexity in the past and have managed to get them finished in the end, even with a steep learning curve :)

Thanks for the replies!

A note about Kangaroo Leather.

I think I counted 6 or 8 hides of Roo in my stache. I love working with it. Stronger than many other leathers and will "form" around cell phones etc. without wetting. Very tight grain, beautiful, wears like iron, expensive for the good stuff here in the States. I know two people who live in Australia, I might just have to contact them.

Baby Bison is the only thin leather I have used that might come close to Kangaroo.

ferg

A note about Kangaroo Leather.

I think I counted 6 or 8 hides of Roo in my stache. I love working with it. Stronger than many other leathers and will "form" around cell phones etc. without wetting. Very tight grain, beautiful, wears like iron, expensive for the good stuff here in the States. I know two people who live in Australia, I might just have to contact them.

Baby Bison is the only thin leather I have used that might come close to Kangaroo.

ferg

Thanks for this! You have given me more encouragement to at least give it a go :)

Maybe line the bag with a thin, stiff leather to give it a little more body.

Maybe line the bag with a thin, stiff leather to give it a little more body.

Good idea. Might give pigskin a go. Should be able to give it more structure, but hopefully not too much weight. Thanks!