tossik

Oval Punch For Belts

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking for a good oval belt hole punch. I have been using round punches to make my holes, but on thicker belts, round does not work well. So I have been looking at oval punches and not sure which one is worth getting.

I see that CS Osborne has 158 punches. I am guessing size 5, 6, or 7 would be what I need. Anyone use those? What size do you have, is it worth its $60 price tag?

Should I get something cheaper that might be as good at CS Osborne one? Or should I give in and get one from them.

Thanks!

You will find sometimes using the search feature will get you some really good results.

Try this one: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=62613&hl=punch#entry405093

May God bless,

Dwight

I rolled the edges on my oval Osborne punches after very little use. They are junk IMO. I have some Weaver oval punches, and while the quality of the steel is better and they are still cutting well after many years, I don't like the abrupt taper on them. In punching two layers, like a lined flank billet or a D & S trace on a carriage harness, after punching, the hole on top is stretched way bigger than on the bottom. The old high quality punches did not have this abrupt taper and the top and bottom of the hole were similar in size, with very little stretching on top. My favorite oval punch is a cheap one I bought from Tandy 25 years ago; I think it's a Rampart. It looks like an el cheapo, but it is a way, way better punch than any of the others I own, and it has received a lot of use. Only problem is they came in one size only, and I'm sure the new ones are nowhere near the quality of this one. Best of luck to you and I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I wish someone could give an answer to this question. I am in the need of a new punch also. I have the cheap Tandy ones. The one that comes with 5 different size heads and I also have a Craft Tool single black punch.I have them a year or so, I am looking for a good oval punch. I live about 3 miles from the Osborn company, they won't sell direct, I get Osborn stuff from WBC company, last time I ordered it took three weeks, what a pain.I am not sure I want Osborn for this one.

Jim

Weave Leather sells some really nice punches. Their Master Tools line is top notch. They are sharp right out of the package and cut smooth and easy. The Osborne punches I bought with in the last two years were dull and pretty ugly craftsmanship wise. I'd go with the Weaver Punches IMO.

I bought a Tandy one that I have been abusing regularly and then hit it with a stone to sharpen, then a strop and it works well, for the money I cant complain.

If you want really good punches, you have to pony up for the Weaver Master Tools, IMHO. The new CS Osborne hole punches I bought are not that great. They come very dull, and don't stay sharp as long as my Weaver stuff.

I never really had a chance to wear out leather tools until I started making GPS tracking collars for cattle. When you make 30 collars at a time, you can wear out punches quick on that thick leather. I was amazed at how much better the Weaver tools performed. I also got in the habit of using a beeswax block. If you tap the punch end on the block before punches, it doesn't get stuck in the leather, and you don't have to wiggle it back and forth to get it out.

Edited by Colt W Knight