sukitawdry

Singer 201 For Stitching 4.5Mm Leather?

OK, I'm a newbie, so go easy on me if my ideas sound silly.

My need for a leather stitching machine is limited to making up several prototypes, NOT the daily grind of a proper industrial machine. In an ideal world, the Tippmann Boss stitcher would suit, but it's far too expensive. And arthritis rules out hand stitching.

My Singer 201 is a reasonably hefty domestic machine, capable of wearing a 130/21 needle. Reading around suggests that his would work satisfactorily with a Tex 92 size polyester thread as a maximum (I know that thread size is often the limiting factor on what a machine will handle). The leathers involved range from thin skins for wallet-like products up to 4.5mm leather for bladed tool covers. The maximum thickness to be sewn, therefore, is about 9mm.

I thought about removing the belt driven motor on the 201 and substituting a ½ or 1 horse power AC motor. This would run at its full speed of 1625 rpm via a 100:1 Fenner gearbox that is fully capable of transmitting the torque involved. My intention is for this output to drive the 201 by V belt to make a stitch rate of between 1 and 5 stitches per second. Being untutored in leather stitching, I'd like to remain in control!

I would certainly welcome any observations anyone has to make on the likely success or otherwise of such a set up. Please remember, I'm just aiming for prototype work.

Many thanks.

IMO, you'll waste your time and destroy an otherwise great sewing machine. "Remarkably hefty" for a domestic machine is still puny and weak by the standards of an industrial machine designed to sew leather.

You could do wallets and clothing weight leather on a 201 if you're willing to accept wearing it out faster, but 4.5mm is way out of its capabilities. Size 92 thread will look strangely thin on something that thick too.

Have a read of Wiz's "The Type of Machine you Need to Sew Leather" thread, pinned at the top of the sewing machines forum.

It will but not for very long. I have used mine for 6mm but it would only do it if you pre punched the first hole then put the pedal to the metal !!!

OK, I'm a newbie, so go easy on me if my ideas sound silly.

My need for a leather stitching machine is limited to making up several prototypes, NOT the daily grind of a proper industrial machine. In an ideal world, the Tippmann Boss stitcher would suit, but it's far too expensive. And arthritis rules out hand stitching.

My Singer 201 is a reasonably hefty domestic machine, capable of wearing a 130/21 needle. Reading around suggests that his would work satisfactorily with a Tex 92 size polyester thread as a maximum (I know that thread size is often the limiting factor on what a machine will handle). The leathers involved range from thin skins for wallet-like products up to 4.5mm leather for bladed tool covers. The maximum thickness to be sewn, therefore, is about 9mm.

I thought about removing the belt driven motor on the 201 and substituting a ½ or 1 horse power AC motor. This would run at its full speed of 1625 rpm via a 100:1 Fenner gearbox that is fully capable of transmitting the torque involved. My intention is for this output to drive the 201 by V belt to make a stitch rate of between 1 and 5 stitches per second. Being untutored in leather stitching, I'd like to remain in control!

I would certainly welcome any observations anyone has to make on the likely success or otherwise of such a set up. Please remember, I'm just aiming for prototype work.

Many thanks.

My ignorance and impatience are an unfortunate mix, so I'm very grateful to amuckart and Nick69 for their moderating input and also for being directed to Wizcrafts' postings, which are a veritable master class in themselves; although it's reassuring to know that even masters “..have probably wasted over 7 or 8 thousand dollars, moving up through inadequate, yet tough looking sewing machines, over the years”. Many thanks for helping to ensure I go down a more fruitful path. The 201 will be used only for wallet work on very thin calf and kid (it's good at this, but needs to be much slower to be more forgiving of my inexperience) and the tough stuff is going to be hand sewn by a handy little device called a great niece!