Chief31794

Instrument Straps And Rifle Slings

Off the bench last week, Three Guitar Straps, a Banjo Strap, a Mandolin Strap for a F-Style Mandolin, and two 44" Rifle Slings all from Hermann Oak ©, the mandolin strap is from 4/5 oz, the Guitar and Banjo straps is from 7/8 oz and the Rifle Slings are from 9/10 oz. Mandolin players normally like a very light weight strap, the instrument itself is light. The first guitar strap has a carving of Hank Williams Sr., this guys wife says he's a real Hank Sr. fan, never carved Hank before, not completely satisfied with the carving, but she seemed to like it.

Chief

post-6362-0-45695800-1447509500_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-87039400-1447509501_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-18739200-1447509503_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-92019800-1447509523_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-78849500-1447509551_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-95777500-1447509552_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-20112900-1447509607_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-66692200-1447509616_thumb.jp

Edited by Chief31794

There is nothing not to like about these Chief. You do fine work.

It was fun to see what you could do with a small figure carving like Hank. Nice stuff.

There is nothing not to like about these Chief. You do fine work.

Thanks Rohn,

It was fun to see what you could do with a small figure carving like Hank. Nice stuff.

Thanks, there isn't a lot of room there for details, so I was pretty happy with it, get tired of carving the same old things all the time.

Chief

Nice job as usual Chief. You must be in the right spot for rifle slings and guitar straps. I was wondering if you're using a clicker die or if you still gut them by hand.

Nice job as usual Chief. You must be in the right spot for rifle slings and guitar straps. I was wondering if you're using a clicker die or if you still gut them by hand.

Thor, I cut them by hand, a clicker would be nice but one large enough to do guitar straps and rifles slings wouldn't do my budget much good. I use templates from Black River Laser. The rifle sling template is one I designed, they sell them as well as some other types, in fact they are sending me a new Rifle Sling that is over 3" wide with 1-1/2" area for the sling swivels as well as a new Guitar Strap Template that is 3-1/2" wide.

The Rifle Sling template I use is 2-1/4" at the widest point, so I cut a 3-1/4" strap from a single belt bend and cut two at a time out by reversing the template so the wide ends are apart and the narrow ends overlap, that allows me to save quite a bit of waste. I usually cut them out ahead of time so that I can fill orders pretty quickly. I have 5 cut out right now waiting on orders, this time of year I keep 3-5 ready to go.

The guitar strap template is Black River Laser's GSTS which is 2-1/2" wide. I designed the Banjo strap template that they made me, and although I don't use a strap template for my dobro straps, I use their 3/4" ranger belt template to make the piece I sew to the front of the dobro strap to hold the adjustment buckle.

Thanks for asking, I can't say enough about Black River Laser's templates they are time savers, I had them make me a wallet template as well for cutting out wallet parts and backs. Big time saver as they have holes for marking the lacing holes so I don't have to measure them everytime.

Chief

Thanks so much for sharing Chief. If I wouldn't have to pay customs on the shipping as well as on the item itself I would definitely order with them as I looked at their stuff quite a few times already, but by the time it's here I can also have someone make me a clicker, which I'll be making for a wallet.