Moore Leather

Military Leatherworker: Postcards, photographs,

As I mainly make reproductions of military items, plus have a Military History degree, I am interested in the history of leatherwork & leatherworkers in the various branches of the military - regardless of country of origin...

I have a really nice 1916 dated German saddler manual that also covers dimensions (& full-size plans) for normal saddlery items AND all the soldier issue items that young Wilhelm would have needed at the front (belt, straps, tornister, frog, etc.)

I have most of the various US Army Technical & Field Manuals about Saddlers, Leather Inspection, etc.

Most recent purchase was a 1914 postcard of an army saddler in his tent, sewing using a pony...the early basic type (just the seat/jaws type)

Got lucky & bought a "Saddler Tool Chest for Battery Wagon" a while ago - it's an early one (been told WW1) & it's in daily use as I only really hand-sew. It's in need of a re-paint in places but I am loathe to do such a thing. Its been dragged the length & breadth of the UK over the last 5 years or so as I make items on my stall when I trade at shows & its also a great crowd stopper

IF I can find a spare clam for the above I will retire it to my collection & use the other one I have for sewing instead: bought about 2 weeks after the first, but this 2nd one is stripped of paint so I can happily re-do this one with a clear conscience IF I get lucky & get a clam.

I also do WW2 re-enacting events & portray a US Army saddler at these. Doing on the spot repairs is good for the other guys too, as they have quite a habit of breaking things.

Got one of the saddler tool rolls & the canvas tool bag too.

I have a few British army marked tools; some of these marked tools came from the widow of an ex-cavalry soldier who retired after 20 years then joined the police doing more or less the same job...most of his tools were marked with the letter "I" next to the broad-arrow - meaning that they were of Indian Army vintage (pre-1947)

Not got any British manuals - but have most of the LoC's & a few of the newer spec. sheets for such things as the Sam Browne sets.

I also have a British Army clam.

I am also in contact with ONE ex-army saddler. He joined the army before WW2 & served a few years, though WW2 was quiet for him - as he is Swedish & was in the Swedish Army - a neutral country.

He has very kindly given me his stitching clam - an unusual design which hinges at mid-point to save space. MUCH better designed than the British one & a lot less tiring to use.

May try to see if he wants to sell any of his tools someday. He has a few pics of himself in uniform "back in the day" which he is going to pass on to me sometime (once he's found them)

IF anyone else has a similar collection/interest I'd like to hear from them...as I feel that sadldlers, riggers, etc. have been quite overlooked in the history books & given how widespread they once were it's surprising how little information there is out there on them

Jon

As I mainly make reproductions of military items, plus have a Military History degree, I am interested in the history of leatherwork & leatherworkers in the various branches of the military - regardless of country of origin...

I have a really nice 1916 dated German saddler manual that also covers dimensions (& full-size plans) for normal saddlery items AND all the soldier issue items that young Wilhelm would have needed at the front (belt, straps, tornister, frog, etc.)

I have most of the various US Army Technical & Field Manuals about Saddlers, Leather Inspection, etc.

Most recent purchase was a 1914 postcard of an army saddler in his tent, sewing using a pony...the early basic type (just the seat/jaws type)

Got lucky & bought a "Saddler Tool Chest for Battery Wagon" a while ago - it's an early one (been told WW1) & it's in daily use as I only really hand-sew. It's in need of a re-paint in places but I am loathe to do such a thing. Its been dragged the length & breadth of the UK over the last 5 years or so as I make items on my stall when I trade at shows & its also a great crowd stopper

IF I can find a spare clam for the above I will retire it to my collection & use the other one I have for sewing instead: bought about 2 weeks after the first, but this 2nd one is stripped of paint so I can happily re-do this one with a clear conscience IF I get lucky & get a clam.

I also do WW2 re-enacting events & portray a US Army saddler at these. Doing on the spot repairs is good for the other guys too, as they have quite a habit of breaking things.

Got one of the saddler tool rolls & the canvas tool bag too.

I have a few British army marked tools; some of these marked tools came from the widow of an ex-cavalry soldier who retired after 20 years then joined the police doing more or less the same job...most of his tools were marked with the letter "I" next to the broad-arrow - meaning that they were of Indian Army vintage (pre-1947)

Not got any British manuals - but have most of the LoC's & a few of the newer spec. sheets for such things as the Sam Browne sets.

I also have a British Army clam.

I am also in contact with ONE ex-army saddler. He joined the army before WW2 & served a few years, though WW2 was quiet for him - as he is Swedish & was in the Swedish Army - a neutral country.

He has very kindly given me his stitching clam - an unusual design which hinges at mid-point to save space. MUCH better designed than the British one & a lot less tiring to use.

May try to see if he wants to sell any of his tools someday. He has a few pics of himself in uniform "back in the day" which he is going to pass on to me sometime (once he's found them)

IF anyone else has a similar collection/interest I'd like to hear from them...as I feel that sadldlers, riggers, etc. have been quite overlooked in the history books & given how widespread they once were it's surprising how little information there is out there on them

Jon

A stitching clam like this?

/ Knut

syklämma.JPG

post-5173-125856840177_thumb.jpg

A stitching clam like this?

/ Knut

Ah - THE very one

It has an issue stamp to a Navy base though - as for some reason my friend did some of his saddler training at a Naval base.

Just found pics of it - so I will attach them

Nice to see another Swedish leatherworker. I was supposed to have been trading at an event in Stockholm last weekend but missed the plane due to traffic congestion after a road accident...

Thanks for the response

Jon

Klove-b.jpg

Klove-a.jpg

As I am adding more images - here is a scan of the pre-WW1 US Army postcard I just got...

Plan to make a better scan so I can study the image details more.

7546bf27_2552549.jpg

The mark " KA 1 - 4K" on the clam indicates that it belonged to 1:st Coast Artillery Regiment - Company #4, in Vaxholm, just outside Stockholm. KA 1 never had horses, but I guess there were a lot of equipment made of leather at the time, which needed a saddlers care. The three crown is the logo of the Swedish Armed forces and almost all equipment had the mark. ( also the swedish ice hockey team has this logo)

Thank´s for sharing the pics!

/ Knut

Edited by oldtimer

The mark " KA 1 - 4K" on the clam indicates that it belonged to 1:st Coast Artillery Regiment - Company #4, in Vaxholm, just outside Stockholm. KA 1 never had horses, but I guess there were a lot of equipment made of leather at the time, which needed a saddlers care. The three crown is the logo of the Swedish Armed forces and almost all equipment had the mark. ( also the swedish ice hockey team has this logo)

Thank´s for sharing the pics!

/ Knut

Thanks for the update.

I never knew the details of what the stamped marking meant.

DID know about the 3-crowns, as I make Kindstod, gevarsrem & linsskydd for the Swedish Mauser

Linsskydd, do you make those for the sniper version of the old Mauser M 96 ( the M41). It seems that a lot of those old rifles have spread out over the world. I have shot a couple of thousand rounds with the old M/96 when I was a young boy. They were sold as surplus for~ £10 ( 15$ ) at that time.

/ Knut

I am a saddler who spent time in an Army Unit with Light Horse (mounted Infantry) lineage. Of course my unofficial sideline was looking after the museum saddlery artifacts. I then joined the Airforce and made the fatal mistake of telling recruiting I was a saddler and (heres the kicker word) Harnessmaker. Aircraft use harnesses to hold in pilots and also on Parachutes etc. Our trade has morphed over the years from saddlers to fabric workers covering aircraft skins with fabric and dope, to safety equipment work including parachute rigging. In 17 days I will be back to teaching the trade to both Airforce and Army students.

As we are allied to the Army. I have contacts and lots of info on both trades.

These pics capture just about the death nell of saddlers in the Australian Army as all Regiments had been dismounted by 1944.

Barra

10 LH saddlers.jpg

army saddler.jpg

post-1669-12623900145_thumb.jpg

post-1669-12623903652_thumb.jpg

Linsskydd, do you make those for the sniper version of the old Mauser M 96 ( the M41). It seems that a lot of those old rifles have spread out over the world. I have shot a couple of thousand rounds with the old M/96 when I was a young boy. They were sold as surplus for~ £10 ( 15$ ) at that time.

/ Knut

Hi

Yes - I make them for most sniper rifles. The Swede m/41B is unique in that I make 3 leather accessories for it - as per my previous post. I normally just make slings & lense-caps for most rifles, but the m/41B also uses the leather cheekrest

Jon

I am a saddler who spent time in an Army Unit with Light Horse (mounted Infantry) lineage. Of course my unofficial sideline was looking after the museum saddlery artifacts. I then joined the Airforce and made the fatal mistake of telling recruiting I was a saddler and (heres the kicker word) Harnessmaker. Aircraft use harnesses to hold in pilots and also on Parachutes etc. Our trade has morphed over the years from saddlers to fabric workers covering aircraft skins with fabric and dope, to safety equipment work including parachute rigging. In 17 days I will be back to teaching the trade to both Airforce and Army students.

As we are allied to the Army. I have contacts and lots of info on both trades.

These pics capture just about the death nell of saddlers in the Australian Army as all Regiments had been dismounted by 1944.

Barra

Hi Barra

What years were you in from/until?

There are still a few saddlers in the British Army - but just for the ceremonial units - though they are kept quite busy doing this !!

I see the 1st image has them using the old type clam - not a piece of kit I am anywhere near a fan of...

Jon