This is my first attempt at a holster with a sling and at a holster with a scope. The sling wasn't to bad to figure out. The "extra" holes punched on the wide part of the sling that goes across the chest will be to secure different accessories to the sling. I won't get to it for a few months, but a sheath for a ka-bar and bullet loops are the accessories the owner wants to be able to change out. He's just happy to have the sling / holster back before the gun deer season here in Wisconsin.

The holster is huge. The gun is a Ruger .44 Magnum with a 7.5" barrel and the scope was nearly as big as the firearm. There's a lot of cow and a lot of time in this thing.

Feedback, suggestions, or other ideas are always appreciated.

post-28681-0-81257400-1381540762_thumb.j

post-28681-0-62939100-1381540777_thumb.j

post-28681-0-58634100-1381540784_thumb.j

post-28681-0-43011900-1381540791_thumb.j

Matt,

You are right that is one big gun, did you want the color natural like that. I would have dyed it if it was mine for some reason I do not like light colored hides but if that's what you like it's still a nice rig. I tend to stay away from light colors because they are easier to stain and get dirty. Overall a very nice solid rig. Keep up the good work!

Ralph

Matt, you done good on this rig --- as long as the toe is open (it looks like it is to me) --- BUT If the muzzle is resting on a stitched, closed toe, that ain't too good. I personally dislike a closed toe holster because NOBODY will ever clean out the crud that ends up down there, and stuffing the muzzle of your shooter in it is bad form. The only thing I'd like to see is your stitch line a bit closer to the trigger guard and front of the frame. But, I had to look hard to find such a small thing to grumble about. Keep at it. Mike

Matt, you done good on this rig --- as long as the toe is open (it looks like it is to me) --- BUT If the muzzle is resting on a stitched, closed toe, that ain't too good. I personally dislike a closed toe holster because NOBODY will ever clean out the crud that ends up down there, and stuffing the muzzle of your shooter in it is bad form. The only thing I'd like to see is your stitch line a bit closer to the trigger guard and front of the frame. But, I had to look hard to find such a small thing to grumble about. Keep at it. Mike

I always enjoy reading your posts, so thanks for the feedback. I've learned a lot from reading your stuff.

The tow is open. The holster got a little long under the trigger guard and along the bottom of the barrel. There is a 1/2" wide welt that runs the entire underside of the firearm. I stitched right down the center of the welt. I spent a lot of time preparing the template for this thing. With the amount of leather involved, I didn't want to do it twice. I was pretty worried I would end up short when folding the leather around the firearm. The scope is so large I had a hard time deciding how much to adjust the template to make room for the scope.

Matt,

You are right that is one big gun, did you want the color natural like that. I would have dyed it if it was mine for some reason I do not like light colored hides but if that's what you like it's still a nice rig. I tend to stay away from light colors because they are easier to stain and get dirty. Overall a very nice solid rig. Keep up the good work!

Ralph

The customer wanted the natural color - as light as possible. The vast majority of the stuff I do gets dyed. My preference is walnut.

The customer wanted the natural color - as light as possible. The vast majority of the stuff I do gets dyed. My preference is walnut.

I like that color. Did you just oil the natural leather and then put a finish over it?

Also, the rig looks great. That is one huge gun!

Edited by JoshLSTV

I like that color. Did you just oil the natural leather and then put a finish over it?

Also, the rig looks great. That is one huge gun!

Two coats of neatsfoot oil about 12 hours apart. Then rubbed with Aussie Leather Conditioner and lightly buffed after it sat for about 8 hours.

Two coats of neatsfoot oil about 12 hours apart. Then rubbed with Aussie Leather Conditioner and lightly buffed after it sat for about 8 hours.

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try it out.

I think you did a great job. Looks like your solutions are just right. What a project!

Nice Rig Matt...one thing i have started doing on any type of sling is to use openbacked chicago screws instead of lace for the adjustment points...the lace looks better, but i like the security that the chicho screws provide..

Very nice...love it!