ETW Grumpy

Green Checkered Cutting Boards

I have noticed on several posts and tutorials that a lot of folks have a green cutting surface with squares laid out over the whole surface and that has measurements across the front (and possibly sides). What exactly are they called and where would I find one? Is it sturdy enough to set snaps on etc? Thanks much.

Self healing cutting mat, Omnimat is one brand, Fiskars has one too. JoAnne Fabric has them and you can usually find a 50% off coupon. They work good with a rotary knife, I find my round knife cuts into it easily and drags. I have a black one from some scrapbook store I was given and my knife does better on that one.

No idea how well they hold up to setting snaps, I use a Press N Snap.

Edited by J Hayes

You do not want to pound on em, . . . and JoAnn also has a bigger one in white, . . . 36 by 60, . . . it's on my work bench.

Put a piece of marble on it, . . . pound to your little heart's content, . . .

You can see it behind the Boss.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-69922400-1414809584_thumb.jp

Google, Alvin professional cutting mats… I have a 30” X 42” and love it… If you shop around you can find some really good prices on these mats.

I bought a cheap Poly cutting board from Wally world for pounding, and I also have a wooden 12” x 14” butcher block cutting board that works great.

In addition, I also use a piece of hard rubber conveyor belt material for punching holes. I use an 18” X 24” Granite slab as a base for punching and tooling.

I know this is a lot of info, hope you find it useful…

Tramp

Excellent info. Thanks all, that points me in the right direction(s). I have a tombstone that I tool/pound on i just didn't know if this stuff would hold up to it. Appreciate the help folks. God bless.

Levi

Check out Joann's before this Tuesday, they have a 60% off coupon promotion for veteran's day. The coupon can be printed off of their website. That large mat Dwight pictured, is regularly $69.99, I picked up one yesterday for $27.99 plus tax to cover my sewing table.

Karina

Are there any cutting mats to fit a workbench around 4 foot by 7 foot that aren't 250 dollars like the alvin mats.

DavidL, this is what you need. Chuck Burrows suggested it to me and it is great. I use two 4' x 8' tables and there is one on one of them. Chuck said he has been cutting on one for years. I definitely like mine.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft

Red, how does the horse stall mat affect your cutting edges?

I use this:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Folding+Utility+Knife&FORM=IRBPRS&crslsl=0#view=detail&id=3EE7672C23BCA6D5F856C99E65A4090005E605E4&selectedIndex=13

But... I use a blade that looks like a double edge razor blade. Gives me four "blades" to dull. Quick change blade and is noticeably thinner than a regular utility blade. Cuts 8-9 ounce much better than utility blade. And I use a regular utility knife with heat treated blades for sharp curves and corners.

I have been using the pad for about 6-8 months and I cannot tell where I have cut unless some lint is pressed into the cut. I never feel any influence by other cuts and you will not cut all the way through. It seems to level out the blade after about 1/4" depth in the mat.

Totally water proof. No leather sliding around.

When you get it, clean off the surface. After cleaning, it will not rub off on the leather. Nor your hands.

For the price, I would advise someone with little room to cut the mat up into useable pieces.

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-1777341-Carpet-Blades/dp/B0052XR1S4/ref=sr_1_116?ie=UTF8&qid=1415725386&sr=8-116&keywords=irwin+blades

Cutting: I guess it would have to affect the cutting edge some. I don't think I change blades much more than the plain utility knife. But the blades are rather cheap