olroper99

Smart Servo Motor On My Upholstery Machine!

Got the motor in from Techsew....

Got it mounted this morning. It was a no brainer....it has the exact same mounts as most clutch motors.

Pulley is a lot smaller so the belt is too long but I jury rigged it for now and it works GREAT!!!!!

This is on a Mitsibishi 66 upholstery machine that was lightning fast...

Now...I can do intricate chap (and other sewing) with it in complete control.

This motor doesn't go down to 100 rpm like I thought it would and the machine is a little down on power at the 200 rpm minimum

when pushed thru heavy leather.....but it was just a test and it sews chap leather perfectly.

The pulley ratio on the 66 is very "high geared" so I'm not too concerned.

All in all...a very good purchase!

I'll be buying another Smart Servo motor for my Mach 1 soon also. A darn handy machine...but still way too fast when "IT" feels like it.

Thanks Mike...from Rapheal Sewing!!!!!

Russ

Got the motor in from Techsew....

Got it mounted this morning. It was a no brainer....it has the exact same mounts as most clutch motors.

Pulley is a lot smaller so the belt is too long but I jury rigged it for now and it works GREAT!!!!!

This is on a Mitsibishi 66 upholstery machine that was lightning fast...

Now...I can do intricate chap (and other sewing) with it in complete control.

This motor doesn't go down to 100 rpm like I thought it would and the machine is a little down on power at the 200 rpm minimum

when pushed thru heavy leather.....but it was just a test and it sews chap leather perfectly.

The pulley ratio on the 66 is very "high geared" so I'm not too concerned.

All in all...a very good purchase!

I'll be buying another Smart Servo motor for my Mach 1 soon also. A darn handy machine...but still way too fast when "IT" feels like it.

Thanks Mike...from Rapheal Sewing!!!!!

Russ

Glad you're enjoying your new SmartServo motor, Russ. Our current stock of motors was shipped to us with the minimum speed of 200 RPM (our initial stock was minimum 100RPM). We're working with our supplier to get it back to 100 RPM in the next shipment. I'll pass along the message to Mike!

Thanks,

Ron

Thanks Ronnie! The 200 rpm motor works fine! Any slower and I'd fall asleeep...lol!

As soon as I find room for my ol' Mach 1 to live...I'll be ordering another motor for it.

These things are the best thing since sliced bread....

Help! I bought a Tacsew T8700 High Speed Straight Stitch with a Tacsew Clutch Motor Model: RM1878-1H (don't know what the RMP is) when I was doing model home decorating (window treatments, etc). I could never use it as the dang thing takes off like lightning and usually breaks the top thread! The local business I bought it all from said none of it came with a user/maintenace manual. Not surprised as that is the business they are in. I've been reading here about speed reducers. Can anyone help me tame this wild beast!??

BTW, I've been sewing for over 40 years and am very good with machines and electronics....the owner came to my house and charged me $90.00 to tell me that I shouldn't have bought an industrial sewing machine if I didn't know how to use one!!!! I bought it from him....some customer service this guy!

Also, I'd really like to trade it for a walking foot head that will sew leather, fine to thick.

Thanks and good wishes to all who read this,

Mimi32223

Help! I bought a Tacsew T8700 High Speed Straight Stitch with a Tacsew Clutch Motor Model: RM1878-1H (don't know what the RMP is) when I was doing model home decorating (window treatments, etc). I could never use it as the dang thing takes off like lightning and usually breaks the top thread! The local business I bought it all from said none of it came with a user/maintenace manual. Not surprised as that is the business they are in. I've been reading here about speed reducers. Can anyone help me tame this wild beast!??

BTW, I've been sewing for over 40 years and am very good with machines and electronics....the owner came to my house and charged me $90.00 to tell me that I shouldn't have bought an industrial sewing machine if I didn't know how to use one!!!! I bought it from him....some customer service this guy!

Also, I'd really like to trade it for a walking foot head that will sew leather, fine to thick.

Mimi32223

you can change the lower pulley to the smallest possible size for about $10 including the new smaller belt. I just did this on a Pfaff with the same clutch drive. At full speed I can manage quite nicely with full power at the needle. This mod will require a puller, easily found at Harbor Freight. Or pay for an electronic controller......

you can change the lower pulley to the smallest possible size for about $10 including the new smaller belt. I just did this on a Pfaff with the same clutch drive. At full speed I can manage quite nicely with full power at the needle. This mod will require a puller, easily found at Harbor Freight. Or pay for an electronic controller......

Thank you for your information! Did you mean 'require a puller' or did you mean 'require a pulley'? Can I purchase the pulley and belt at Harbor Freight? Any idea what size they both are?

Mimi32223

You can buy the gear puller at Harbor Freight. I don't know if they have sewing machine pulleys. Clutch motors have a keyed 3/4 inch shaft diameter and use a 3/8" to 7/16" belt pulley. Most machines in tool stores use 1/2" belt pulleys. If you put a 1/2" belt pulley on a clutch motor, the 3/8" or 7/16" v-belt will drop deep into the grooves and may flip sideways. I recommend buying a sewing machine pulley from an industrial sewing machine dealer.

You can buy the gear puller at Harbor Freight. I don't know if they have sewing machine pulleys. Clutch motors have a keyed 3/4 inch shaft diameter and use a 3/8" to 7/16" belt pulley. Most machines in tool stores use 1/2" belt pulleys. If you put a 1/2" belt pulley on a clutch motor, the 3/8" or 7/16" v-belt will drop deep into the grooves and may flip sideways. I recommend buying a sewing machine pulley from an industrial sewing machine dealer.

I bought my pulley from an industrial supply house named Mcmaster Carr ($3.50). The small pulley available is the correct pulley for the L3 belt that was used on my Pfaff1245. The belt cost around $5 at a supply house called Motion Industries. The original belt was 48 inches and the new belt is 44 inches. Again, the belt series is an L3 width. This is standard for 3/4 inch ID pulleys, one would have to go out of the way to obtain a 13/4 inch OD pulley with a 3/4 inch ID that uses a 1/2 inch belt.

So how does it sew? I find that I am better able to control the materials I feed into my machine, and the seam is much straighter as a result. I plan to convert my Juki dual needle as well, it sews far too fast, uses the same 3/4 inch shaft on the output of the clutched motor, I have an extrapulley

for my Juki

Please help-I understand what a pulley and belt are but what is a 'puller'? I've searched online and with my local Harbor Freight and can't figure this one out.

Thanks!

Mimi

Please help-I understand what a pulley and belt are but what is a 'puller'? I've searched online and with my local Harbor Freight and can't figure this one out.

Thanks!

Mimi

The puller you are referring to looks like a three fingered claw with a screw in the middle. You clamp down around the pulley wheel and tighten the screw which causes it to pull the wheel off the shaft. I have one out in the garage I'll edit this post in a few minutes with a picture of one if I can find it while I'm running out there for some beer. :D

--------

I_510236_SW_1.gif

All right, apparently I can find my beer but not my puller. The kind used is generally just slightly hooked on the end instead of with the holes but same general principal, and enough to give you an idea.

I would suggest checking if you even need it to get the pulley wheel off though. I just changed my drive pulley a few days ago and after I loosened up the retaining screw it popped right off.

Edited by Jovial

Jovial,

So funny! Thanks for your info. I think I can 'pull' this little pulley out of this motor without the 'puller'. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the laugh! I'll have to be sure not to drink any wine before I start taking it apart or putting back together. Wine and ceiling fan installations taught me not to do that! Haha

Mimi32223

Mimi,

I just thought I'd get my $.02 in here.Most of the time the pulley comes off w/o any problem,just be sure to loosen the set screw first.IF it doesn't want to cooperate you can put a larger wrench between the back of the pulley & the motor & pull the clutch arm down & it acts like a puller & after it slide off a little you can lift the arm up & put a screwdriver behind the wrech to fill the gap & pull the arm down again.

This is how we've done it for years if they are tight.

HTH,

Bob

Mimi,

I just thought I'd get my $.02 in here.Most of the time the pulley comes off w/o any problem,just be sure to loosen the set screw first.IF it doesn't want to cooperate you can put a larger wrench between the back of the pulley & the motor & pull the clutch arm down & it acts like a puller & after it slide off a little you can lift the arm up & put a screwdriver behind the wrech to fill the gap & pull the arm down again.

This is how we've done it for years if they are tight.

HTH,

Bob

Purchased a 2" pulley from Ace Hdwr. With a little filling of the channel it is now on. Next back to get the belt. Thank you all for your help! I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks again!

Mimi

Mimi32223

UPDATE: March 30, 2011

Bought the 1 1/2" pulley and ordered the smaller belt. Helped a little. Then focused on the alighnment of the foot peddle and the shaft that hooks it to the bar for the motor; moved it over to the right. Now, I have a usable machine!!!!

Thank you all for your help!

mimi32223

UPDATE: March 30, 2011

Bought the 1 1/2" pulley and ordered the smaller belt. Helped a little. Then focused on the alighnment of the foot peddle and the shaft that hooks it to the bar for the motor; moved it over to the right. Now, I have a usable machine!!!!

Thank you all for your help!

mimi32223

Now that you have slowed down the speed of the motor and smoothed its pull rod operation, the next logical step would be to play with the free movement before the clutch engages. Loosen the big nut on the bolt in front of the output shaft. Turn the threaded bolt out to get more free play, or in for less. Tighten down the nut when you have it set to your liking.

Now that you have slowed down the speed of the motor and smoothed its pull rod operation, the next logical step would be to play with the free movement before the clutch engages. Loosen the big nut on the bolt in front of the output shaft. Turn the threaded bolt out to get more free play, or in for less. Tighten down the nut when you have it set to your liking.

Surprisingly, I know what you are talking about...will check that out. Thanks again!!!