Rayban

About A Sight Channel.....

I've been asked to make a sight channel in a Avenger style holster for a 1911.

I would like to see the methods the various holster makers use to make one.

I have been thinking of epoxying a 1/8" brass rod along the top of the barrel of the blue gun, then molding the holster to it. Am I on the right track?

Thanks for your input.

RG

I have been thinking of epoxying a 1/8" brass rod along the top of the barrel of the blue gun, then molding the holster to it. Am I on the right track?

Thanks for your input.

RG

I would consider the epoxy kind of extreme.

I just made a couple of tuckable IWBs for my Glocks. I don't have any dummy guns yet, so I just scotch taped a piece of hardwood doweling (cut to fit exactly the distance between the front and rear sights) to the guns and wrapped them in plastic wrap before doing the forming. That worked just fine. I used scotch tape because I didn't want anything too aggressive to have to clean off of the slides. Besides, the saran wrap protected the tape from moisture. I'd probably use clear packing tape on the blue gun, since there's no need to protect it from moisture.

Blue guns aren't as expensive as a real gun, but I'd still be reluctant to permanently (or semi-permanently) modify one when it wasn't really necessary.

I would consider the epoxy kind of extreme.

I just made a couple of tuckable IWBs for my Glocks. I don't have any dummy guns yet, so I just scotch taped a piece of hardwood doweling (cut to fit exactly the distance between the front and rear sights) to the guns and wrapped them in plastic wrap before doing the forming. That worked just fine. I used scotch tape because I didn't want anything too aggressive to have to clean off of the slides. Besides, the saran wrap protected the tape from moisture. I'd probably use clear packing tape on the blue gun, since there's no need to protect it from moisture.

Blue guns aren't as expensive as a real gun, but I'd still be reluctant to permanently (or semi-permanently) modify one when it wasn't really necessary.

Good points.....I have noticed however that the front sight of the blue gun is wearing down some, but you're right, if I permanently glue the rod in, I may end up regretting it.

Thanks for your input.

RG

Hi,

There are some people that put a solid fixed sight rail on their dummy guns. I did a quick search and could not find the photos but Jeff from "Boomstick" holsters does this. He has a channel groove machined in the top that runs the length of the dummy then epoxys a rail on it to allow for the channel left in the leather after moulding the shape.

I think he does all of his dummys and it is a very professional look and will always allow for the forward sight on your holsters a clear draw. You might drop him a p.m. and see if he will post a photo of them, they are really the best I have seen.

Rick J.

Hi,

There are some people that put a solid fixed sight rail on their dummy guns. I did a quick search and could not find the photos but Jeff from "Boomstick" holsters does this. He has a channel groove machined in the top that runs the length of the dummy then epoxys a rail on it to allow for the channel left in the leather after moulding the shape.

I think he does all of his dummys and it is a very professional look and will always allow for the forward sight on your holsters a clear draw. You might drop him a p.m. and see if he will post a photo of them, they are really the best I have seen.

Rick J.

Thanks Rick...as a matter of fact, I bought a blue gun (SP 101) off Jeff about a year ago which has said rail. It's where I got the idea of gluing a rod to the top since I have no talent/tool to cut the groove.

Thanks for your input.

RG

Rayban, although I don't do it too often, I use a piece of brass channel that I picked up from a well stocked hobby supply house. I tape the channel over the front sight and all the way back to the rear sight. Being gentle and careful, I ease the gun into the wet holster then mold to it. It works well for me. Take a look at one of those places that cater to the large R/C airplane makers, they should have a number of different sizes of the brass channel in stock. Mike

I use real guns instead of blue guns. I tape a wooden dowel to the top of the barrel. Works great.

Good points.....I have noticed however that the front sight of the blue gun is wearing down some, but you're right, if I permanently glue the rod in, I may end up regretting it.

If you don't want to use tape, an alternative would be to mount two brass pins on side of the brass rod or dowel that you use and drill two corresponding holes in the top of the blue gun. You could then insert the pins into the holes, keeping the rod in place during the forming process. It wouldn't be permanent, but wouldn't come loose when it was damp.

I just taped a pencil along the top of the slide between the front and rear sights for my molded sight channels, but I like the pinned brass rod idea Deanimator has described

I use real guns and tape a pen or pencil to the gun before molding. Its worked so far. Back when I used to do kydex I used a metal drill bit as I wasnt sure what the temps where going to do to a pen or pencil so if your doing a combo piece you might want to keep that in mind.