Completed another collar for a friends Bulldog, 23" neck and 48" lead, 10 oz leather for main collar and lined with 2 oz doubled over. I used Eco-flo medium brown gel antique on the outer portion and left the lining natural with mink oil treatment.

post-7789-020026300 1304694396_thumb.jpg

post-7789-053930600 1304694410_thumb.jpg

post-7789-065694100 1304694425_thumb.jpg

Beautiful!!! I'm new. Would you mind describing the 2 oz, double over leather in more detail? Like what kind of leather and how you doubled it over. Planning on making a collar for my dog soon. Thanks for your help.

Beautiful!!! I'm new. Would you mind describing the 2 oz, double over leather in more detail? Like what kind of leather and how you doubled it over. Planning on making a collar for my dog soon. Thanks for your help.

It is veg tan thin leather that I wet and fold over both sides so they meet in the miidle on the back side, put a nice crease in the edge and put it under my granite slab for a while. Then open up the flaps and put some glue between the layers and also glue to the back of the collar then sew. Make sure you form the inside piece to the collar when it is damp and roll the two pieces while gluing so you don't get any puckers and it will want to stay in that curved shape, I usually put a roll of duct tape inside of the two before gluing while the moisture dries to give it a nice radius. I leave it natural so no dye rubs off on the dogs fur and treat it with mink oil. So if the collar is 1 3/4" wide I cut the back piece 4" wide so there is a little overlap. I have more collars on my blog if you would like more examples, www.bentleyleathergoods.blogspot.com

post-7789-021233000 1325792053_thumb.jpg

post-7789-076597000 1325792075_thumb.jpg

Make sure you form the inside piece to the collar when it is damp and roll the two pieces while gluing so you don't get any puckers and it will want to stay in that curved shape, I usually put a roll of duct tape inside of the two before gluing while the moisture dries to give it a nice radius.

This part confuses me a bit. At what stage do you from the inside piece to the collar? You do this after you wet it, fold the sides around back, and put it under a marble slab?

This part confuses me a bit. At what stage do you from the inside piece to the collar? You do this after you wet it, fold the sides around back, and put it under a marble slab?

Yes, I leave it under the slab a few hours to get a good crease but it will still be damp when you remove it, now place inside collar and wrap both around something like a roll of duct tape to get a nice curved shape to both pieces. When all is dry start the gluing process.

Yes, I leave it under the slab a few hours to get a good crease but it will still be damp when you remove it, now place inside collar and wrap both around something like a roll of duct tape to get a nice curved shape to both pieces. When all is dry start the gluing process.

Thanks for all the help and answers. I'll definitely give it a shot. Couple more questions. What color is that? And how did you get the lettering so dark? Thanks.

Thanks for all the help and answers. I'll definitely give it a shot. Couple more questions. What color is that? And how did you get the lettering so dark? Thanks.

You are welcome. I think it was Tan, I used Eco-Flo Gel Antique with two coats of Resolene sealer mixed 50/50 with water. The antique will be much darker in the impressions if you put it on heavy and then wipe off excess on smooth areas.

Good luck, experiment on some scraps.

Mark

Hey Mark;

Not criticizing but my sewing book warns against sewing across the end of the strap because it creates a weak spot in the leather.

post-19342-087170900 1326058620_thumb.jp

Hey Mark;

Not criticizing but my sewing book warns against sewing across the end of the strap because it creates a weak spot in the leather.

Nice point and I would agree on a horse harness and even a tree strap but I know that your shoulder will be dislocated before that dog collar breaks if your dog pulls that hard.

Your collars and leads are beautifully done. There's only one thing that I would change... Those cool looking spikes could hurt the dog that wears that collar.

I would switch from those pointed spikes to a flatter diamond or spots. Dogs try to scratch around or under their collars, and getting a sharp spike in the foot would not make for a happy dog.

Other than that small detail, your work is really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Nice point and I would agree on a horse harness and even a tree strap but I know that your shoulder will be dislocated before that dog collar breaks if your dog pulls that hard.

I was going to make the same comment that Tree Reaper made, b/c I also saw that mentioned in the same sewing book. However, I think your probably right that it's not likely that the collar will fail b/c you sew perpendicular to the length of the collar. IMO, the collar almost looks unfinished when you don't sew that line. Your collar looks great, by the way...

Your collars and leads are beautifully done. There's only one thing that I would change... Those cool looking spikes could hurt the dog that wears that collar.

I would switch from those pointed spikes to a flatter diamond or spots. Dogs try to scratch around or under their collars, and getting a sharp spike in the foot would not make for a happy dog.

Other than that small detail, your work is really nice. Thanks for sharing.

I understand your position, just making what the customer ask for, get very few request for spikes actually and I think they use them more show when walking their dog, not an all day collar. Thanks for the comments and compliments.

Mark

I was going to make the same comment that Tree Reaper made, b/c I also saw that mentioned in the same sewing book. However, I think your probably right that it's not likely that the collar will fail b/c you sew perpendicular to the length of the collar. IMO, the collar almost looks unfinished when you don't sew that line. Your collar looks great, by the way...

Thank you for the comments and compliments. Tree Reaper does know what he is talking about and I think I will make some adjustments, perhaps a much longer spacing in the stitch that is perpindicular so it still has that finish look with less damage to the strength. These collars are mostly for show off, have not sold this design to anybody using this collar for hunting, tracking or pulling dogs such as Pit Bulls, not even sure leather would be the right material for such things, see more seat belt material for those.

Each time you make something you learn something new it seems when working on individual projects vs. mass production stuff. That is what makes this Forum work so well and fun.

Mark

Mark;

I totally agree with you on the strength in the stitching, I don't think it will be a problem but as the collar gets wet and it penetrates those areas it could weaken the leather over time.

Considering a dogs life span I don't think it would break in that time.

If the dog spent a lot of time in the water it might be more of a concern.

Kevin

Question on the d-ring "tab" stitched on to the collar. I've been doing some with a similar lining layer on them and used the lining layer to hold a d ring captive at the top of the collar but the d ring goes around the entire main piece of leather vice stitched on with a tab. Your way is much nicer looking, not to mention there is no way I could do that wide a collar with a 1 3/4' d ring wrapped around the main body - would look like a fitting on a boat! ;)

So have you done many with this design, and has that method of attachment for the d ring held up alright? Just a bit concerned about the strength factor - I know you mentioned that it's more for show, but I like the detail and was curious how it stands up with shall we say *excitable* dogs LOL

Nice work BTW! :)

Mark;

I totally agree with you on the strength in the stitching, I don't think it will be a problem but as the collar gets wet and it penetrates those areas it could weaken the leather over time.

Considering a dogs life span I don't think it would break in that time.

If the dog spent a lot of time in the water it might be more of a concern.

Kevin

Thank you for the input Kevin, I may have come off a little cocky to your first post, my apoligies and I respect your opinions.

Mark

Question on the d-ring "tab" stitched on to the collar. I've been doing some with a similar lining layer on them and used the lining layer to hold a d ring captive at the top of the collar but the d ring goes around the entire main piece of leather vice stitched on with a tab. Your way is much nicer looking, not to mention there is no way I could do that wide a collar with a 1 3/4' d ring wrapped around the main body - would look like a fitting on a boat! ;)

So have you done many with this design, and has that method of attachment for the d ring held up alright? Just a bit concerned about the strength factor - I know you mentioned that it's more for show, but I like the detail and was curious how it stands up with shall we say *excitable* dogs LOL

Nice work BTW! :)

I have not had a failure with the D-ring yet and have sold/given away many to Boxer owners which have been pretty good sized pets. Been using a small piece of rawhide inside the leather loop to give it some added strength, seems to be working. I also have a D-ring down by the buckle and use copper ritets and glue at the buckle. Some owners do not want that center D-ring because they say their dogs are pullers and they don't want the buckle in the dogs throat. That is what is nice about custom work, they get everything they ever wanted but could never find at a big box store, have not received any complaints from owners yet, knock on wood.

Thank you for the compliments.

Mark

Rawhide re-enforced ... cool idea :) Yeah, custom is cool that way - gotta get some "off the rack" stock built for the quick sales now thought ;)

Thanks guy - great lookin stuff :)