Magjua

Belt Material In Canada

Hello all, great resources here, thanks!

I have been doing some research through old threads and just want a little more clarification before ordering.

I am looking to make belts, initially for family and friends and possibly to sell. As opposed to blanks I would like to get bulk leather and believe I am looking for a double shoulder.

Being in Canada has limited my options some.

I checked my local shop, a Tandy supplier of sorts and they have single shoulders, 8-9 oz for about $130. They are fairly marked up and stiff.

I have contacted a number of online retailers and shipping and tech issues seem to be the main obstacles. Roger at RJF is nice, but no electronic payment is an issue.

What about Weaver? I have priced it there and with the current 20% off it is reasonable to have it shipped, although it is Tannery Run quality the CS rep said that they try to send the cleanest when requested.

Basically asking for my best option to purchase bulk belt leather, if a different cut is an option that could work as well.

Thanks!

Edited by Magjua

If you are getting a shipment through the mail you might want to check for brokers fees crossing the border.

It could be a hefty price.

How far are you from the border?

Far enough to not make a trip. I am used to these on clothes etc, generally based on cost of item, so it shouldn't be too much I don't think...

Fees charged for brokerage services constitute a private business transaction between the broker and the client and are therefore not regulated by the CBSA

I would hazard a guess the price of your order could be at least 1/3 of the total goods or more with shipping,tax and brokers fees.

You don't say where you are. There are places in Canada besides Tandy that sell leather and supplies. If you identify your city, you may get some additional answers as to what is available near you.

UPS and FedEx charge hefty brokerage fees. Like $45 on a $75 item. Most places don't warn you.

Tom

Being in Canada has limited my options some.

Victoria, British Columbia.

Thanks to both of you for the brokerage warning, haven't encountered that in the past.

I see you are in Calgary, I contacted Caledon and they are in the running, have you bought there before?

Caledon is good. Take a look at Longview too. http://www.longviewleather.com/ I haven't ordered from them, will be going out to their shop one of these days. Longview is a member here too.

Tom

Edit: check posts by Wscott, a member hear, west coast. Or PM him. He has been dealing with someone in Vancouver for various leathers.

Edited by northmount

If you do get a hide from Tandy, the "European Single Bends" are pretty good, and are on sale this month.

Most people will say to stay away from shoulders for belts, as they can sometimes get a little stretchy.

I found this place in Calgary, I will be making an order soon, http://www.buckskinleather.com/default.asp they offer great over the phone service.

I am in New Brunswick and find it a challenge to get materials at times, Tandy has done well for me on most of the leather I have bought so far. But never hurts to be on the lookout for more suppliers.

Cross border shopping for me is not bad 2 hrs drive from border but don't need the full day away from the shop to deal with the hassles of the border paperwork and fees.

If you're near Toronto or Montreal, Moore Pearsall can be a great source for leather. The only downside to them, is that you usually have to play a game of phone tag with (the owner, I think?) just to come up with a date to meet them in one of their warehouses. Other than that, nice and friendly service, beautiful leather, and reasonable prices.

???Umm, I thought shoulder had limited amount of strech and best for belts?Am I wrong?

Talk to Peter at Tundra Leather, Hamilton.

???Umm, I thought shoulder had limited amount of strech and best for belts?Am I wrong?

Yes.

The back ("bend") is the best part with least stretch...

Hi - also from Victoria here. Caledon sent me a letter saying they're going out of business. So that's one less source in Canada sadly. Longview is a Weaver reseller, their product codes are identical. Sadly I tried emailing Longview and they never replied, so I'm going to try my luck with Weaver.

I've purchased from Springfield and they're great for small lots. My experience with cross border is to try and get it sent USPS, brokerage will be about $60 for $500 worth of product. Not too bad if it's good quality.

Oh and stay the hell away from the local Tandy reseller. When I first started I had some questions about sealing dye and they had no idea what resolene was..

Edited by rhinez0r

Caledon is good. Take a look at Longview too. http://www.longviewleather.com/ I haven't ordered from them, will be going out to their shop one of these days. Longview is a member here too.

Tom

Edit: check posts by Wscott, a member hear, west coast. Or PM him. He has been dealing with someone in Vancouver for various leathers.

Ooh my ears are burning!!! :rofl:

There is a place in East Vancouver, Lonsdale Leather, on E 5th Avenue.

http://www.lonsdaleleather.com/

The Aussie owner, Phillip, is an AWESOME guy and will help sort you out. Not the cheapest, but great quality leathers.

Unfortunately he is trying to sell his business due to injury.

You could also go to the Tandy in Surrey BC and actually sort through the hides yourself until you find one you like.

It is a ferry trip and some gas, but you will get what you want either way.

Good Luck, Scott

Contact Peter @ Tundra. Very trustworthy. peter@tundraleather.ca