LOL! this topic seems to work for me!!

Okay the short version....I have a shoulder of leather and have no Idea how to finish it!

I have 2 WW2 Ka-Bars that need sheaths and at least 1 that needs handles.....and an old Aerial Mfg M3 trench knife with an original M6 sheath that I want to clean up. The sheath though may not be savable.....I can post pictures..

Look here.....

http://neowolf1.imgur.com/

There should be 2 albums there....don't have pics of the M3 yet but will soon.

The big issue I have is that I need to balance cost with quality. I have read about things like useing teabags or coffee to color water and to seal with Mink oil....not sure that I trust that. Then I have wondered about fabric dyes?

I want it too look good! But I can not spend I lot of money on it. I would love to redo the Kabars and give them back to my parents. My dad is 80 and has parkinsons so I do not see them getting much abuse. I do not care about the monetary value of any of these......its the sentimental value. The M3 was my dads step-dad who carried it on Normandy beach.

Well I think I have rambled enough for now. Thanks in advance for any hints, tips or ideas!!

NeoWolf

Oils are used to condition and moisturize leather. They do not seal. Acrylics and lacquers seal the surface. After you have sealed the surface, oils won't do much since the surface has been sealed.

You can do a search here for sealing leather, or conditioning, or acrylic, or lacquers, or resolene, or neat lac, or saddle lac, etc. You will find lots of comments on the various types. If you are close to a Tandy store, you can go look at some of the products they have and ask about them. Depending upon the sales person you speak to, you may get some good information.

Tom

Yep been looking! Thanks for the reply northmount!