zaynexpetty

Problem Setting Brass Rivets.

Hello all,

I am having issues setting brass rivets with my rivet setter (https://www.etsy.com/listing/118895691/stud-rivet-setter-tool-machine-hand). The posts always end up indenting the caps, even when I cut the post down. If I cut the posts any shorter than I do the caps come off without much effort. I don't think it is an issue with the rivet setter, it seems to function as it is intended. The die used on the machine is a 12mm double cap die. I am using 7mm and 9.2mm double cap rivets with differing post sizes for various leather thicknesses. My plan was to cut down any posts that were too long, but as I mentioned, the posts still indent the caps.

Have any of you had similar issues?

Thanks

Zayne

Edited by zaynexpetty

That is the very reason I use a hand setter and a mallet.

I've always perceived that machine and others like it as a solution looking for a problem.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hi There,

If you look at the end of the posts you can see the indent, this is what helps the cap grip to the stem when you set it, by removing this your not only crimping the end your also removing the bit that makes it work.

regarding the machine and the finish your getting, try ease off a tad. when you set by hammer you not only strike vertically but also around the sides, maintaining the dome and setting it tight, but not that tight that the post shows. bit of a knack to it and I'm not sure if the machine will have that sort of care and attention.

Keep at it varying the pressure, testing the fit and finish until your happy. Like the look of the thing though what's the delivery times on it?

With that said I personally don't go above the medium double or single caps. for me they are more decretive than a permanent fixture (unless you got the traditional route of the washer and brass rivet) so when strength is needed ( had a few fail on me so learned the hard way) and a thicker item is needing that sort of fixture I go with a Chicago screw.

Hope that helps along the way,

Ian

I too have one of those presses. You MUST use the correct size mould die for the size diameter rivet you are using. If not, you WILL have un-uniform rivet heads as they will move within the die itself. You stated you are using a 12mm die and 9mm rivets? It may close them together but won't look good at all. Proper tool for the job always is a good rule to follow.

Bro. Timothy.