Sign in to follow this  
pella

What threads are best to use with a Boss?

I use nylon on my hand-crank BOSS machine but want to know their difference, advantage? disadvantage? For those of you that try both

thank you

Pella,

In a nutshell, nylon has more stretch than poly thread. Some nylons have more stretch than others too. I started with nylon in my Boss. When I got the first powered machine, it came with poly and poly was recommended by the seller for their machines. I started using it in the Boss too. I ran out of the poly, and went back to some nylon left overs, more skips and twisting than the poly in the powered machines. Was cheaper to just throw away the nylon after that than be tempted to use it up. I am sure not all polys are the same, but what I use is Coats.

Bruce Johnson

thank you for your help. I have nylon here, i notice weaver is very smooth and not recommended for the boss, maybe that was part for my problems, i also have nylon from American & Efrid, NC, USA. It is stiffer.

I think i will give a try on polyester on a sample bobbin (if i can find one)

Pella,

I thought it was just me. Weaver's nylon was what I threw away. I couldn't get it to sew very well on anything. The bonding was not very good and the thread untwisted and caught up on the hook a lot, the needle speared the bobbin thread, and strands fell off the bottom of the spool and wound around the thread stand. To top it off I ordered a spool of 346 for the top and 277 for the bottom. They were two different shades of brown. One was chestnut, the other a tannish color. I talked to Vernon Weaver about something else and mentioned it. He laughed and said that at least they both were brown, not all customers get that lucky! Gotta like his sense of humor. Vernon is a pretty good source of info on machines too.

Bruce Johnson