Sign in to follow this  
Dale

something we're working on in the local Colorado Springs leather guild

Here are a few snapshots of something we're working on in the local Colorado Springs leather guild.

137_3780_IMG_400.jpg137_3784_IMG_400.jpg137_3785_IMG_400.jpg

post-95-1172724899_thumb.jpg

post-95-1172725013_thumb.jpg

post-95-1172725045_thumb.jpg

Dale, the second and third pic of the greenman.... I would really love to see a completed pic... and if at all possible... a pattern for it.

Thanks for sharing!

Good work, post progress or finished please. I like the style.

Jim

Dale, the second and third pic of the greenman.... I would really love to see a completed pic... and if at all possible... a pattern for it.

Thanks for sharing!

Pattern is actually courtesy of joet. I don't know its background so I'll leave it to him to post/forward the pattern, but I will try to get completed pics of the pieces when we're done.

Dale

Sweet, Thank Dale, Thanks Wildrose.

The pattern I furnished for the guild project came from a book I bought at Barnes & Nobel called "Wood Spirits and Green Men". This book is a design source for woodcarvers and other artists, and I thought it would lend its self well to leather. I just wish that I could partake in the workshop, but weather and health does not allow me to work on it like I would like. This last storm (if you could call it that) will allow me to catch up with the rest of the group. Joet

After a few weeks off due to weather and other unforeseen circumstances, we got back to this one. I think this is a couple weeks worth of work from the original pics.

138_3857_IMG_400.jpg138_3867_IMG_400.jpg138_3877_IMG_400.jpg

post-95-1175475491_thumb.jpg

post-95-1175475532_thumb.jpg

post-95-1175475583_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to say that Dale is doing a great job teaching us how to carve this project. It is been interesting learning to do the figure carving and we are getting it imbossed with the leather dust and glue and I have only done that one other time so it is nice to learn it from another perspective. I don't normally do the figure carving but with what I have learned from Dale I might do more!! I am looking forward to getting the "Green Man" finished.

:welcome: Hello, Clay M! I hope we get to see pics of your green man, too. (Everybody, let me introduce you to Clay Miller, one of the best leather carvers and all around good-guy.) Dale is awesome, and I'm trying to twist his arm to do an online lesson or two. He keeps mumbling about parenting, day jobs, current projects, the usual exuses. Clay, will you post your Green Man in progress?

I hope you have time to be a regular here, too, Clay. We could all learn from you, too. Hang around long enough, I'll start bugging you for lessons, too. :P Seriously, I've admired this Clay's work for a long time. Click his link below and check out his site. He can do magic to cowhide. Please post some of your work in the "Show Off" section, Clay. (We encourage leatherworkers to shamelessly promote themselves and their businesses.) Work like yours deserves to be seen, admired and commissioned.

Johanna

I wanted to show the Green man that I am working on, It has been tooled and molded and formed as much as I think I can get it. I will be adding the leather dust glue mixture to it and then on Wed we will start painting it under Dale's instruction. It has been a fun project.

Clay M.

jse_green_man.jpg

post-255-1176790781_thumb.jpg

Clay ,

Now that is as cool as it gets right there!! He is just awesome ! I have never tried anything like that but it sure looks good. I guess I could have looked but I didn't realize we were that close of neigbors. I may be relocating to the Evergreen area later his summer and if I do will be sure and get with you. Dan :thumbsup:

We're starting to paint using a few tricks from Silva.

139_3941_IMG_400.jpg 139_3952_IMG_400.jpg 139_3956_IMG_400.jpg

post-95-1176953728_thumb.jpg

post-95-1176953760_thumb.jpg

post-95-1176953787_thumb.jpg

Clay,

That really looks good. I am surprised that you could stretch it that far and still have so much detail showing. Usually when I do embossed pictures, you lose a lot of the detail in the stretching, and then after filling with the dust mixture, you re-bevel to get the detail back. If you re-bevel, you can usually get even more depth.

I can't wait to see how they all turn out once they are colored.

ClayB

Clay, that is so neat!!! I'm anxious to see the final result. ( I think it looks superb un-colored... but then it wouldn't be a greenman, would it?)

Almost done. The color in the photos appears to be a bit off. I think the greens and reds are a bit more subdued than the photos show.

139_3990_IMG_400.jpg139_3991_IMG_400.jpg

post-95-1178776251_thumb.jpg

post-95-1178776273_thumb.jpg

Here is mine, the scan is not so good I will try to get a digital pic of it tomorrow.

Clay

jse_greenman.jpg

post-255-1178855042_thumb.jpg

We finished up this piece last Wednesday. Unfortunately, not everyone remembered to bring their piece to finish up !

140_4006_IMG_400.jpg140_4013_IMG_400.jpg140_4011_IMG_400.jpg

post-95-1179692071_thumb.jpg

post-95-1179692088_thumb.jpg

post-95-1179692102_thumb.jpg