BigGriff

Team Logo On Leather

Making a wallet for my Dad, who is a big Bama fan. I have bough the dye for coloring, but I could use some help before I get to coloring.

I plan on sketching the logo to the thin, transfer paper (not really sure what it's called) and then transfer it to the leather.

After this what should I do? Should I attempt to add some depth to the logo by carving and then paint the dye on? Or should I just paint the logo with the dye?

If some of you think I could add depth to the logo, what type of tools would I need? Modeling tools? I am not even sure what tools to use, so any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Love the site and all the information it provides. Thanks.

Allen

post-27686-058149700 1326158808_thumb.gi

Assuming you have been carving before....you cant do much

Depth in 2-3oz leather....if you go 8-10oz then you get

much more material to go "deep"....

As you mentioned.....a modeling tool (spoon) will help some...

A crisp deep cut with ur swifel knife is needed, then a sharp

Outline with the right size beveler will do fine....you be surprised

What a clean cut well beveld 2-3 oz picture can do looking

three-dimensional!!

So go and give it a shoot.....when done, paint with acryl and

then seal with neat lac or simular finish!!

James

Making a wallet for my Dad, who is a big Bama fan. I have bough the dye for coloring, but I could use some help before I get to coloring.

I plan on sketching the logo to the thin, transfer paper (not really sure what it's called) and then transfer it to the leather.

After this what should I do? Should I attempt to add some depth to the logo by carving and then paint the dye on? Or should I just paint the logo with the dye?

If some of you think I could add depth to the logo, what type of tools would I need? Modeling tools? I am not even sure what tools to use, so any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Love the site and all the information it provides. Thanks.

Allen

post-27686-058149700 1326158808_thumb.gi

Wow... learn something new everyday. I had NO idea that "Crimson Tide" had an elephant as a mascot.

You'll need some basic tools I think... at least a Swivel Knife, A beveler, A mallet etc. Modeling tools will help some

I would also get some extra scrap leather to practice the design before putting it on your Dad's wallet. That way you can see where you can go wrong. And you can test out those dyes.

Now... Technically, the BAMA logo is a copyrighted image ... with all the scary stuff that goes along with copyright issues. Just an FYI.