kayrunp

Brandiing Maker's Mark Vs Stamp

Hello,

I want to get my first maker's mark made and I am a bit confused on what I need. At the moment I am making leather wallets out of wicket & craig leather. I am using there veg tan natural and bridle leather. I also hope to make pouches out of chromexcel leather. For the maker's mark do I need a branding iron or a stamp? If i do the stamp, I don't have a press so I would have to pound it. Who makes one with a handle for that?

Thanks,

Karen

I see a lot of people saying to go to www.greyghostgraphics.com

I've checked out the site and they do seem to have pretty high quality work on making custom maker's mark stamps out of a kind of durable nylon (I think).

This IS a stamping tool. As long as you have your leather cased, just a poly mallet or a maul will let you make the impression very well.

The price for the stamp can run anywhere from about $60 to $100 or so, depending on the size of the stamp. It's been a while since I've checked their site, so my numbers may be a little off there.

Edit: This is of course for use with veg tan. I have absolutely no information regarding chromexcel leather, so I'm not sure if it would work on that material or not.

Edited by Tzalabak

I just received my stamps from Grey Ghost this week and I'll give you a few tips. If you have any sort of design, like an outline or silhouette of something, say a penguin, you'll be better off if it is only the outline of a penguin, not a penguin in silhouette. My stamps offer much more resistance than I expected because there is possibly too much flat surface area in the design. I'll have to experiment with casing to see if I can improve the impression depth, and I'm going to make a very sturdy table for all punching/hammering to be done on.

Also, be mindful of your font style and size. I have two words on the stamp of different font sizes ,and the smaller word on the 1 1/4" stamp, if struck too shallow, is hard to read.

I approved the design on Saturday morning and the stamps arrived on Monday. How's that for fast service!?

They are made of Delrin, by the way.

Jake

Hi Karen,

We provides precised CNC engraved custom stamp with any design of yours. We can accommodate almost any size you desire. Price starts from only $38 within 10cm2 size.

http://www.etsy.com/...ion_id=10477761

And we are fast! We ship within 3-5 days or next working day for rush orders!

You could send us your design (AI vector or high resolution JPG) to calvin (at)lwleathers dot com so we can discuss how we can help!

Cheers,

Calvin

www.lwleathers.com

Custom Stamps - Branding Tools - Heat Embossing

I hot brand my work because I also do wood, so can use the same brand. I use scarp to check the heat before branding a piece be it wood, or leather.

Woody